Partition Magic 8.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have XP Pro which I installed with fs FAT32 instead of NTFS (I had reasons for this at the time). I have the Symantec Partition Magic 8.0 also installed. Whilst exploring Partition Magic to see what it could do I somehow managed to change my C: drive from FAT32 to something called Hex 07. Result: I can no longer access the C: drive to change it to NTFS or alter partition sizes etc. The computer is still working OK and it sees the HD as FAT32. Symantec has been absolutely no help at all (Seems because it is not one of their Anti-Virus systems!). The disk is partitioned into C: = 20 GB and F: = 100 (unused) GB.
Having seen the error of my ways I want to change C: to NTFS and move it to a different and larger HDD. How can I achieve this?
I know, "if it ain't broke don't fix it - but the moving finger having writ - pressed the wrong tit!" Lesson learnt.

So you managed to change the partition ID to NTFS, but never got to actually converting the filesystem.

Assuming the partition is really FAT32, change the ID accordingly. 0C hex should be the correct value.

PM8 comes with a program called PTedit that allows you to edit the partition table directly. You can change the partition ID there.

Partition Magic

NO, I didn't change it to NTFS, it won't let me. I have the fs shown as Hex07 but the rest of the computer still sees it as FAT32 - it will not allow me to do anything with it. I would be content enough to just get it to show FAT32 then I can get at the folder to change it to a larger partition or to NTFS or Ghost it to another HD which is bigger than the 20Gb it presently has to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back