Partition Magic 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I was resizing my partitions when I got hit by a power blackout. Luckily C drive was completed and it was doing D drive so my system boots but I cannot complete the batch jobs. If anyone has had this happen please tell me how to solve it
Colonel

You restore from the backups you made just like Partition Magic told you to :)

You can try running chkdsk or maybe some file recovery utility on that D drive, but most likely the filesystem is FUBAR and you will most certianly lose at least some of the files.

SInce you already have PM, make a copy of the broken partition, so any "fixes" you make, can be undone.

Thanks but still need help

I have run checkdisk 2 times and while I can get to some files others are not readable. My system is ASUS W2 laptop that has no A drive hence no rescue diskettes. I have a drive image on an external HD but it got knocked over and now is unusable. Would it be a good idea to burn all the data to DVD and then delete the partition and then re-make it and put data back. This might copy corrupted files both ways. It just seems to me that the designers should have forseen the possibilty of this happening and built in some way to recover from this.
Colonel

you can delete the D: partition and just redefine/format it, unless there's
data on it you just can't live w/o.

how about a partition recovery utility
have you tried that ,basicly starting over

only thing I have done to help stop power issues is UPS
a battery and converter to change dc to ac and run the machine

best to run any drive maintaince utility from boot

I sent email to Symantec who bought Powerquest and no surprise they have not answered even to say that they don't know either. Guess they are like microsoft and as long as they are selling they don't give a toss about support. Samstoned can you tell me why desktop systems have a power supply and what it's function is.

From past PM nightmares, I can tell you that getting ALL of your data back will most likely be impossible.

Just a tip... a UPS or battery backup would have prevented this. This might be something to look into in the future. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back