Partitioning my Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently i dedcided it would be a good idea to convert my machine into a dual boot windows and linux system. I looked up a how to online and it seemed fairly easy. I compressed all of the files i had spread throught my HD onto the "left" side easily, but have been having major trouble with partitioning the hard drive.
I tried partitioning through computer management, however there are no unalocated regions for me to right click to partition. I then tried to use the comand line to partition it. i entered everything and chose the correct drive, however after typing "create partition primary [size25600] [offset0] [noerr]" the response was

Microsoft Diskpart version5.1.3565
PARTITION - create partition
VOLUME - create a volume

i then typed "partition"

printout was

Microsoft Diskpart version5.1.3565
ADD - add a miror to sample volume
CREATE - create a volume or partition
and so on
if from here i type "create" it returns me to the partition volume line which then returns me to the above.

any help is appreciated...

thanks in advance Jrock

You're going to need to use an unnallocated section of the drive or use something like Partition Magic to break up the current partition into two or more partitions.

Linux will partition the hard drive for you and set up the dual boot with the Grub Loader. Just boot from a Linux cd or dvd and follow the instructions.

JMMD there are no unalocted sections and i would rather not have to pay for a comercial partitioner.

thanks fastco i'll try that later when i have more time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back