PartitionMagic 8 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
(note: if this has already been posted & answered, please refer me to the topic. I'm a little short on time as I type this. thankies. ^^)

I'm having some problems resizing an NTFS partition with Partitionmagic 8. I'm trying to resize the partition (which contains Windows XP and takes up almost all of the 80GBs), so that I can install Ubuntu as well. However, when I try to do so, PartitionMagic gives me two errors - a batch error and "too many errors". >.>

Help appreciated! (obviously. <.<)

Brush

Try separating the jobs. First just resize C:\. After this has completed then create an extended partition and format.

symantic says to run chkdsk
I use paragon PM ,when there is drive errors like this
sometimes it will prompt for reboot and run chkdsk from it's batch file also maybe the drive is fragged try after chkdsk do defrag and then it will resize for you
backup your stuff chkdsk can cause grief

still nothing. v.v

PM works with the other two partitions (a swap and some unallocated space) perfectly well, but won't work with the main NTFS one.

I had similiar problem. Solution - use Acronis Disk Director istead of Partition Magic. I found this program to be superior to PM. Same easy to use as PM. good luck

I guess most frequent disk utility for disk management is paragon or acronis I am supprised acronis does not write program to defrag
I do jump back and fourth between the 2 and no conflicts to boot.
from what I gather in order to resize the system partition ,it would have to be done before boot
acronis and paragon will make a boot dos batch file that does this I don't know if you are missing this in partition magic

did you do defrag before partitioning? Mabye you have too big mess on your HD. I would also try Norton System works to check for errors and fix them. There are always some errors on my drive so I use this program to fix them one a month.

Personally i would set up all your partitions prior to installing an OS on that HDD...

patio. :cool:

I guess will never know what locked him out
I'm think'n it was xp protection did it
was reading up a little you would def need to do partiton from outside xp and it would have to rebuild the boot.ini files
I have partitoned my main boot drive and paragon started a batch file on boot to do this and erased and made a new boot.ini file the original is read only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back