Passive cooling for amd 5200 65 watt ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Row1

hello-
does anyone have experience using passive cooling on the 55 watt AMD AM2 5200 chip?

I am making a computer for my father, who wants the computer on the desk, so he doesn't have to crawl down to insert a dvd or to plug in a device. So I am making a quiet computer.

This chip should not run very hot, so I want to figure out a good passive cooling device.

-Row1

These 55 watt AMD AM2 5200 chips run hotter than you think, a passive cooler would be massive. There are plenty of "normal" HSF combinations that are quiet enough

gemini on the way...

wow your recommendation was so great i have already ordered the gemini ;)

just kidding - i did order one of these passive coolers yesterday, since it was free-after-rebate. if it doesn't work well, i will just put it on a bookshelf as a little sculpture. but at least it gives the option of using a fan if the general case airflow is not adequate.

i am going to have at least two 120mm fans. i am gonna play around with locations to see what works best. i am just gonna watch what component gets closest to top of operating range, then address that component, and see if other components are ok. -Row1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back