Password request on Network

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just set up a home network with my desktop, running xp pro and my laptop , running W98. I am connected through a wireless router.
The desktop can see the laptop and access the shared files with no problem but the laptop keeps coming up with a "required password" when I try to map a connection. I have tried my windows login password for XP as well as a few others but none of them work. I never set up a network password and dont know where to go from here. Anyone out there who can help me? Thanks

The user name you use on Windows98 must match the one on XP. When it does, then you can use the XP password.

I tried signing on both 98 and xp with the same user but no joy. Still says password is incorrect. I have multiple users on XP (teens and all) dont know if that makes a difference.

Did you give the user you are using on Win98 the rights to access the share on the XP machine?

Thanks for your help. Pardon my ignorance though but other than sharing the file in "Sharing and Security" , what else needs to be done to give access to the user?

Look over the permissions in both sharing and security. Make sure the user in question is actually allowed to read the folder in questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back