Patitioning problem + how to make use of two Hard disks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello fellaws.

I have got win xp home edition installed on my hard drive. Recently I bought another hard disk and I want to install win 98 on it. The second hard disk has FAT32 system of course. As I am new to computers, can somebody please explain the procoess step by step. I mean I would need help to create boot manager or something. How would I be able to boot from second HD and run 98?
Please help.
Many thanks

first off, why would you want to get windows 98 on your computer if you're already running xp? anyways:

disconnect your xp hard drive and hook up your empty one. install windows on the computer and get it rolling with drivers and stuff. then add the hard drive running xp back as master, and tell the bios to boot to that. if you see no list of operating systems, you'll have to modify a few system files off your windows xp system. replly whether or not windows finds the 98 os and if nessesary i'll go through the process of modifying your windows xp startup files. good luck.

You must install W98 as the FIRST OS on the Primary Master HD in the FIRST partition C: and you must make that partition active.
Then install XP wherever you like, other partition, other disk etc. The dual boot info will be created automatically when you install XP.

Thanks guys for your help. The reason I want to install win98 is that I want to install oracle personal edition on it for educational purposes. Since Oracle doesnt support XP Home edition, I have to make this move. Also I have a copy of 98 not XP pro.

So the machine I got is OEM Packard Bell. The manufacturor created few hidden partitions on the hard disk in such a way that no partitioning program could solve apparent problems and make repartitions. :confused: (if someone know how to solve these problems then I can provide the detail.)

In such scenerio I think I should work on ZEPHEAD's sugguestion. Once I go and do all the installing, would come back if any problem. Meanwhile if anybody else got a clue. I would like to hear. :)

Thanks again.

Zepheads suggestion will never work.
W98 can ONLY boot when it is the FIRST partition C: on the FIRST harddisk (Primary Master).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back