Pc auto restart and showing ialmrnt5 display error

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmax

I have an old Dell 4500s desktop PC with the following config:
CPU Type: Intel Pentium 4, 1.7 GHz
RAM: 1280 MB (256mb dell ram) + (PC3200 DDR SDRAM kingston)
Video Adapter Intel(R) 82845G/GL Graphics Controller

I am having a frequent restart whenever I open a video file.
When I play a movie using window media player , VLC and others , it became black screen for 2 second then resizes the monitor resolution to 640×480 and displays everything in 4 colors 16 bit.

My problem started on a day where I frequently open a .mkv file video file before the ffdshow being load up.Upon that ialmrnt5 display error everything turn into 640×480 resolution and 16 bit and since then it shows frequently the ialmrnt5 display error whenever I open .avi some stream .wmv video file and even full screen games.It only happen when I open a video files and high resolution game.

I had try and reinstall the ffdcode and install dell driver from the provided dell cd an old driver but didn't help a bit.
I did not try the new dell intel GMA driver because I scare it'll cause more problem.
The weird thing where at dell driver website , they have 4 types of video adapter driver where my dell cd only have one driver 'Intel(R) 82845G/GL'
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs
Can someone kindly guide me which driver to install ?

I hope someone can help me to read the minidump since I didn't know how to read it.I want to make sure whether it's cause by the the driver itself or my hardware component.
If really cause by driver , which dell video driver I should install ?

Thanks for reading my problem.

Attachments

• Minidump1.zip
    89.1 KB · Views: 10
What you report is fairly typical of the 4500S. It has inadequate cooling, and inadequate power supply very difficult to upgrade, as well as inadequate space for making changes to hardware.
The choice of drivers is because the Dell 4500 computer was built in four different configurations with four different video graphics units.
You are using the correct driver for nearly all of the 4500S machines.
The problem is your computer does not have adequate resources to handle the work. You need to look at your processes to see what you can inactivate.
Be sure to keep it very clean and free of dust and pet hair.
This small form factor Dell is simply not designed to work well with video. Video demands have increased greatly since that machine was designed in late 2001.
If handy, you might try changing out the DVD player with another model, as that sometimes helps. I would also increase the memory to the maximum of 1 GB per slot.
The only real fix is to add a video graphics card, and I am not sure there is adequate room.

raybay said:
What you report is fairly typical of the 4500S. It has inadequate cooling, and inadequate power supply very difficult to upgrade, as well as inadequate space for making changes to hardware.
The choice of drivers is because the Dell 4500 computer was built in four different configurations with four different video graphics units.
You are using the correct driver for nearly all of the 4500S machines.
The problem is your computer does not have adequate resources to handle the work. You need to look at your processes to see what you can inactivate.
Be sure to keep it very clean and free of dust and pet hair.
This small form factor Dell is simply not designed to work well with video. Video demands have increased greatly since that machine was designed in late 2001.
If handy, you might try changing out the DVD player with another model, as that sometimes helps. I would also increase the memory to the maximum of 1 GB per slot.
The only real fix is to add a video graphics card, and I am not sure there is adequate room.

I'm pretty sure it had adequate resources to load a simple .wmv streaming size 320x280 and lower.
I hope some expert can clarify reading minidump whether it's cause by driver or hardware.I suspect the driver error but couldn't solve after I install the original dell driver.Besides I'm kinda confuse with dell driver with 4 video driver whether which is the correct driver should be install.

Thank CCT and raybay for replying.

Update the video drivers from HERE. Most of the dumps I looked at crashed at the video drivers, with one caused by Outpost.

Post some new dump files if it still crashes after updating the video drivers.

peterdiva said:
Update the video drivers from HERE. Most of the dumps I looked at crashed at the video drivers, with one caused by Outpost.

Post some new dump files if it still crashes after updating the video drivers.

Thank you , but is it fine to install intel GMA rather than Dell issues intel GMA driver ?
The instruction updating new driver from dell just by clicking the driver without uninstalling it first.Should I follow dells' step of instruction or choosing by uninstall the driver and install the new driver ?
Sorry I am not familiar with pc or i'd say noob in pc software and hardware.

Since you are confused, this message from CCT repeated from above is what you need to do to determine the video graphics setup...
"If you run Everest you can identify whether you have Grantsdale or Springdale or whatever and then use the appropriate download.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181"

There is not doubt in my mind.

Also, you can determine exactly by typing your Service Tag number into the Dell Tech Support site, and get the original configuration for that particular computer.
You can also get info from the www.belarc.com download of advisor, and from the CPUID site.
The Intel GMA is sometimes more recent that the Dell driver, but either should work. Dell has no reason to offer you less than the best Driver... as it specifically applies to the Dell 4500S. The Intel drivers usually offer updates for the full range of video units under that label. It may not to to the Dell machine, since Dell often licenses a specific configuration from Intel. The comments from PeterDiva above only apply IF you are satisified, as we are, that you already have the part identified. You have already identified the video graphics driver in your first post, and I know from experience that driver works with the Dell 4500S without difficulty.
Your problem may be elsewhere.

I had downloaded the Everest and it shows my video adapter
[ Integrated: Intel 82845G/GL/GV Graphics Controller ]

Graphics Processor Properties:
Video Adapter Intel 82845G/GL/GV Graphics Controller
GPU Code Name Brookdale-G
PCI Device 8086 / 2562
Bus Type Integrated

[ North Bridge: Intel Brookdale-G i845G ]

North Bridge Properties:
North Bridge Intel Brookdale-G i845G

[ South Bridge: Intel 82801DB ICH4 ]

South Bridge Properties:
South Bridge Intel 82801DB ICH4

So right until now , should I install from Intel or from Dell ?

So now you know the video graphics setup, and the Dell driver should work.
If you have not done so, Download, but do not install, the driver from Dell... also the BIOS and Chipset. Then once you know where the drivers can be found on your computer, go to Start -> Control Panel -> System-> Hardware ->Device Manager and either disable or remove your existing driver.
Now install the new driver.
If that doesn't work, you can be pretty certain the problem has nothing to do with the driver... but could still be a bad video port.
One more possibility out of the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back