PC-cillin Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshields13

Hi All! I replaced my Norton System Works on my desktop and Norton Internet Security on my Laptop with PC-cillin Internet Security 2005 this past weekend. The two computers are linked via wireless network. Prior to installing PC-cillin, I was able to share files. After, I was not. I spoke to tech support and they had me remove the firewall option in PC-cillin, saying that it is the same as the firewall built in my Linksys router. I am able to share files again, but I have a concern I thought one of you might shed some light on. The PC-cillin firewall has a setting for wireless networks. What good is that since most wireless networks use a router with firewall built-in. Also, when I take my laptop away from the network, I guess I will have to manually reinstall the firewall?

Can anyone advise me as to whether I am missing something here. It would seem to me that I should be able to use all the features that come with the software.

As always, thanks for your sage advice.

The PC-cillin guys didn't tell you the exact truth, but that's OK because a router's firewall is better protection than a software firewall, though there's nothing wrong with having both.

It's been a while since I've used PC-cillin, but I think I can fake my way through this. Let's assume that your router's address is 192.168.0.1 which it prolly is. So what you have to do is set up a trusted IP range above your default gateway, or if there is only 1 other computer, a single trusted IP address (the other computer's IP) will work. So if in fact your router's inside address is 192.168.0.1, and you have more than the 2 computers who need to share files, your trusted IP range will be 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.254. If your computers are DHCPing their address from the router, this might not work though I would assume that it's issueing IP within the same subnet.

Thanks for your replies. I understand what you are saying, Alias, but I have no idea how to set up a trusted IP range. The network is working perfectly now, but without the software firewall. When I had the software firewall enabled, I did not see anyplace to enter a "trusted IP range". By the way, I only have 2 computers, the desktop and laptop, in the network.

RBS, thanks for your reply too. As I said, the basic network is in place and OK.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back