PC clicks and freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

souton

i have an amd 2600+ 2.1ghz and i recently formatted. sometimes the PC will click and it sounds like it's booting up but the computer doesn't shut down. it will freeze for a split second and resume back...i'm worried something is about to go or it's overheating or something... i have 4 fans though... any ideas?

also have
1gb corsair
19" viewsonic
nvidia 6800gt 256mb
550w ps

mobo:
asrock via k7vt4apro
ami p1.40 256kbytes
socket-a

First thing to do is open your case, and see if you can isolate where the clicking is coming from.

If it`s coming from the hard drive, it`s time to backup your important data, as this is usually a sign of a dying hard drive.

Check that all your fans are running properly, especially the cpu fan.

Please let us know your findings.

Regards Howard :)

could a dying harddrive cause video spikes as well?
cause i had that problem and i tried everything.. mouse icon was disappearing as well... formatted and everything was back to normal... but about 10 minutes ago, my game was spiking and i was watching some videos and they were spiking...

I`m not sure what you mean by video spike.

Can you explain further?

Have you managed to isolate where the clicking is coming from?

You really need to find out where the clicking noise is coming from. Then we might have a better idea of what the problem is.

i will, but i was just wondering if you knew or not, thx.

i will post back when i found out more info
thx for your help

i formatted and i think the noise is coming from my harddrive. the noise has gotten worse, if i'm loading a website or a new page, it does it constantly.. as i'm typing now, nothing. basically any application i load and it goes nuts.

last night my pc spiked big time and my sound was lost. i restarted my computer and it shows the windows xp way too long. after the logo page, it would be black for a good 30 seconds, flash a blue screen in a blink of an eye and restart. the blue screen was so fast i couldn't even read a single letter/number. it did this about 4 times. i cut the computer off and gave up.

being bored i decided to go into recovery console and chkdsk /r c:\windows. it took longer than usual on the check disk. it finally finished and i restarted the computer and it took forever for the computer to load. it loaded but it was holding on for dear life.

the noise resembles that of a pc booting up... if it's a harddrive problem, i can get a 80gig for free that's no problem.. but i wanna make sure.. only thing i can think of is hd or ram. of course i'm probably retarded to think it's the ram. please reply

It really does sound as though your hard drive is dying.

Back up your important data ASAP.

Then put in the new hard drive, format, and reinstall.

howard_hopkinso i agree with you, my brothers hard drive did the exact same thing, it can go for years doing that or it could just die now.

Simply put, Your drive has gone bad and will be completely unusable within a short amount of time. Back up ASAP... the clicking you hear is the hard drive turning itself off, then it will come back on shortly after....

My second drive has started to do it now, wont be long before mine goes... its understandable though, mine is old (30GB IDE) got it back when i first got a pc lol... but yea, you should back up first chance you get, you should also stop using it because the more you use it the nearer it gets to dying...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back