PC crash with new motherboard/processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jal27boom

So about 2 months ago I thought I was smart or something and tried to overclock my processor through the BIOS. Fried it, of course. Took it into CompUSA to see what kind of damage I did and the processor/motherboard were both fried and needed to be replaced.

So they did that (Athlon64, MSI K board). But then the system crashed or reset when I brought it home. Reinstalled windows to no effect. Took it back to Compusa twice where they could not get the system to crash/reset no matter how hard they tried. (So they say.)

I've tried different monitors, power cords, rooms in the house, without the surge protector, reformatted the hard drive and started with a fresh copy of windows..all to the same effect. Ran Norton's virus check (updated), windows defender, and spybot.

When it crashes the monitor goes black, but the fans in the CPU are still running. Turning the monitor on and off will only show a message no 'signal to monitor'. Moving the PC into the basement where it's much cooler (where I have my old PC running just fine along with the wireless router) seems to help but it still crashes.

I'm thinking graphics card, but maybe the RAM. Maybe the power supply. Or the new motherboard/processor. No idea really.

Connections? What happens if you slightly wiggle the video card or RAM while the computer is on?

I had problems with my Slot 1 P2 : it was the processor, RAM AND every cards... (Cheap mobos suck, but your MSI should be OK) Oh, and I was almost forgetting, the ATX connector too...

you need to have the right equipment to overclock a substantial amount. you obviously went far beyond the limitations of your hardware.

1. if you didn't lock the PCI/AGP/PCIe bus at their stock frequencies then there's a good chance that you fried your video card

2. raising the voltage too high can fry just about anything including RAM, video cards, CPUs

3. overclocking with a cheap PSU is always a fatal mistake. if you don't have a quality PSU then it may have power spiked which led to the failure of your other components and would have cause permanent damage.

the first thing I would do if I were you is buy a good PSU and go from there. whether it's the root of your problem or not it is arguably the most important component in your system

I know nothing about overclocking, so no such precautions were taken. (No ***** test was taken either.) I did try removing and reinserting the graphics card to no effect. What boggles me is that CompUSA couldn't get the thing to crash once. They're running a BURNINTEST from PassMark which when I run it it doesn't crash either. (until the PC has been on for a few hours which usually gets it crashing everytime I open a program). I'd love to be able to pinpoint the fried component, so if something is damaged why not crash consistantly?

Anyway, the current 500w PSU I added about a year ago becuase the old one started to sound like a jet engine. I had already been thinking upgrade to another quieter PSU, possibly even getting the Altec Sonata case which comes with a 450w. Then maybe upgrade the RAM as well. I just hate to take that step just to find out that the new motherboard is the problem or I need to spend another grip of money on a graphics card.

I'm going to try another graphics test I found from Futuremark, 3dmark06. It's free and I'm hoping if it crashes then I should look at the graphics card first. I'll try the wiggle test too tonight.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Do you have a temp senser on the video card? what type of vid card is it? if it only happens after a few hours, it sounds to me like an overheating issue. Make sure to leave the cover on the case ato allow the proper airflow over all components, and make sure you have sufficient fans installed to provide that airflow. I recently had an intermittent issue with a Bugcode USB error, and what I did that I found worked very well was run WMP continuously... if it crashed, it was still broke, if it didnt, it was stable... you want consistency when testing, so if you can find a consistent program to test with, use it.....

Wayne

No temp sensor on the graphics card. Radeon 9500 Pro/9700. 3dmark didn't crash it like I hoped. Any other graphic benchmarks/testing that might consistantly push it over the edge?

Can I be reasonable confident that the new motherboard/processor is not the problem? I don't mind replacing the parts, but I'd hate to put the investment into it for nothing.

opened the pc up for ventelation and crashed again. However I recieved a error message which I have not seen before.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

*** STOP: 0x000000D1 (0xF81AEF18, 0x0000002, 0x000000000, 0xF815CD90)

*** A3AB.sys - address F81AEF18 base at F8147000, Datastamp 4240dfcc

*** A3AB.sts - Address F815CD90 base at F8147000, datastamp 4240dfcc

Do you have a D-Link wireless setup?
That's causing the DRIVER-IRQ... crash.
Un-/Reinstall those drivers.
Also try a wired/CAT5 connection for internet.
You could have an intermittent fault on your mobo.
Give us the exactmake/model of your PSU. 500Watt means nothing if it's a piece of junk!

Yes, it's a dlink. I reinstalled the drivers and updated them for the wireless pci card only, not the machine directly connected to the router. I'll un/reinstall/update those as well and see what happens.

Thank you.

I was wrong on the watage of the psu. It's a 400w Antex SL400.

Reinstalled router drivers. So far no crashes, but it's early.

ran rpime 95 for 7 hours, no crashes, no errors or warnings. Can I safely assume it's not my processor, motherboard, or RAM?

The PC has only reset once since reinstalling the router drivers.

Since I brought down into the basement anyway, I diconnected the wireless oci card and hooked it straight up to the router. No problems. I can't believe this is all due to a router driver. I've had this set up for 2 years with an issue.

Oh well, thanks a million for the links and advice.

I really should read it before I submit it.

Since I brought the PC down into the basement anyway, I disconnected the wireless pci card and hooked the pc straight up to the router. No problems. I can't believe this is all due to a router driver. I've had this set up for 2 years with an issue.

Oh well, thanks a million for the links and advice. Any advice on routers? I may just junk the dlink.

means you have a BAD Driver.... and its related to your video card and the monitor.

AAND its not related 2 videocard..

Frank Smith said:
means you have a BAD Driver.... and its related to your video card and the monitor.

Yes and no bad driver but not video ---->

A3AB.SYS/STS
Its not videodriver :mad:

kangaruffian said:
Yes and no bad driver but not video ---->

A3AB.SYS/STS
Its not videodriver :mad:

A3AB.sys is the driver file produced by the D-Link Corporation and is part of D-Link Wireless Network adapter. This is a known issue. If updating the driver doesn`t help, then a new wireless card may be in order.

0x000000D1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

The system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. The most typical cause is a bad device driver (one that uses improper addresses). It can also be caused by faulty or mismatched RAM, or a damaged pagefile.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back