PC Crashing when playing games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joonasv

Hello, I've been having this problem since November, it started out as occasional screen flickering but now i cant even play any game for more than 3 minutes untill it crashes. I get a black screen and "No signal" message. Mostly i play World of warcraft. At first i thought that there would be something wrong with that game but then i noticed that Rollercoaster tycoon 3 and FlatOut2 crash also.

I have updated every driver in my pc and nothing seems to work. Doesnt seem to be a overheating problem either.

When i turn my pc on after the crash, it gives me a notification where it says that "The system recovered from a serious error. A log of this error has been created. For more information about this error, click here" And it gives me these things.

BCCode : 100000ea BCP1 : 88D788B8 BCP2 : 896EDEC0 BCP3 : BA4E3CB4
BCP4 : 00000001 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

C:\DOCUME~1\Athlon\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER008c.dir00\Mini011608-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Athlon\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER008c.dir00\sysdata.xml

Any ideas? :| I'm desperate.

Question: Do crashes of this nature occur when not playing games?

I suggest in your next post to attach your minidumps to see if we can help you find a more definitive answer.

How to find your minidumps:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files. We need the files and NOT the whole folder. See the button below Manage Attachments.

It is always helpful to have more than one minidump for better ananlysis.

That being said, your minidump points to ati2mtag.sys which is an ATI miniport driver. When you told me that the crashes only occured when you played games my suspicions were confirmed that it had to do with your video card.

Notice also how Athlon is mentioned it what you provided in your first post:

C:\DOCUME~1\Athlon\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER008c.dir00\Mini011608-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Athlon\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER008c.dir00\sysdata.xml

I suggest 1) Updating your drivers and 2) making sure your card is set right.

All of your latest minidumps point to the error 0xEA which means a device driver problem is causing the system to pause indefinitely.

Typically, this problem is caused by a display driver waiting for the video hardware to enter an idle state. This might indicate a hardware problem with the video adapter or a faulty video driver.

The particular driver cited is ati2cqag.dll which is an ATI Central Memory Manager/Queue Server Module file and a display driver.

There is quite a lot on this particular driver online and seems to be an issue with ATI cards over the years.

I did quite a bit of research and the thing that kept coming up was that 1) the drivers need to be updated (which you did), 2) the card may be defective, or 3) there are issues with memory even though it came out fine via MemTest.

Here is what I suggest. Completely unistall your video and wipe out all current drivers along with anything ATI. Reinstall video card with new drivers. See if that helps.

Allrighty, installed new drivers (Again.) and so far it seems like the problem is solved, but im gonna keep an eye on it for today and see how it does with my games :) Ill let ye know if something happens.

Thanks alot for your help!

Hmm, so far only World of Warcraft has crashed, no other game (FlatOut2, Portal and Rollercoaster Tycoon 3). Crash happened when i tried to interact with an NPC in game. I also ran a scan with ATI Tool (Scan artifacts), my friend told me that it should work as a proof if the card can take the stress or not and/if the card is broken or not, no errors occured after 1.5 hours.

Could the reason be in the World of warcraft game files this time instead of my drivers? Just curious because it ran perfectly for about 1-2 hours and then BAM! it crashed. Also there has been quite many similar reports in WoW Forums regarding crashing and black screens. Should i still be worried about my video card? Or can i blame World of warcraft game files :)?

I'll attach my minidump from todays crash, hope it gives some sort of clues.

Same read as before. If your other ganing is now stable and WoW forums are reporting the same issues then I would say at this point it has to do with WoW and their servers, rather than your card. of course, crashes don't exactly help your PC. I am wondering if people who utilize Nvidia cards are experiencing the same issue or if it is only ATI owners. I'd check it out.

I have noticed that many people at the forums who have the same problem as i, they have ATI Radeon cards, i also have one, only different series. Anyways, ill keep on playing and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back