PC crashing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

-_ash_-

Ever since i got my pc about a year ago it's been crashing all the tmie when im playing games, every so often it crashes when im playing music too. When the blue scree comes up i get different messages all the time but one that appears most is this.

DRIVE_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

*** STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x0000000, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x806E9AFC)

and it said that the driver that caused the crash was nv4_disp.dll.
Done some research and I found that this has something to do with my my graphics card. I've got a GeForce Fx5200. Ive done memtest and its not that and I'v got the latest drivers and ive also reformatted my pc twice. If anyone could help me out it would be much appreciated.

Ash

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go HERE and follow the instructions.

If that doesn`t help. Zip 5 or 6 minidumps together, and attach them here.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

ok ive done all the things it said but i still have the problem. you said i need to compress some minidumps and post them on here but i dont know how to compress files, could you please tell me?

If after doing the above, your BSOD`s continue, then please zip 5, or 6 minidumps together(you will need to use a zip utility such as Winra, or Winzip to do this) and attach them in your post. Note. Techspot has a limit of 100kB per attachment, so you may need to attach several zip files into your post. The reason we need 5, or 6 minidumps is because it is very difficult to diagnose a problem accurately from only one, or two minidumps.

You can find your minidumps in the following directory. c/windows/minidumps.

Alternatively if you wish, you can simply change the .dmp file extension to a .txt extension, and attach them. I will then download them, and change the extension back again.

Regards Howard :)

Ok heres a few minidumps. I appreciate the help, thanks :)

here another 2.

Attachments

• mindump.zip
    90.4 KB · Views: 6
2 minidumps crash at ntoskrnl.exe, and bugchecks of 0A, and 8E respectively. This is the Windows boot up kernel.

2 minidumps crash at smwdm.sys, and a bugcheck of D1. This is your onboard sound driver.

1 minidump crashes at ks.sys, and a bugcheck of 50. This is the Windows Kernel CSA Library.

1 minidump is corrupt and unreadable.

0x0000000A: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Typically due to a bad driver, or faulty or incompatible hardware or software. Technically, this error condition means that a kernel-mode process or driver tried to access a memory location to which it did not have permission, or at a kernel Interrupt ReQuest Level (IRQL) that was too high. (A kernel-mode process can access only other processes that have an IRQL lower than, or equal to, its own.)

0x0000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn’t catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).

0x000000D1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

The system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. The most typical cause is a bad device driver (one that uses improper addresses). It can also be caused by caused by faulty or mismatched RAM, or a damaged pagefile.

0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

Because you minidumps seem to crash so randomly, it may well be that you have a ram problem. Please note. Some faulty ram can pass Memtest86+.

You may also have a damaged page file. In order to rule this out follow the instructions below for creating a new page file.

Right click my computer, and select properties, and then the advanced tab.

Under performance, click settings. Click on the advanced tab, and then on the change button.

Click on the custom size button, and click in the initial size box and make the size of the page file 0. Click in the maximum size box, and make the size of the page file 0.

Click set.

Now reboot your machine. After your system has restarted run a defrag.

Once the defrag has finished, go back to the pagefile settings above, and click on the change button. For the initial, and maximum pagefile size make it 1.5 times the ammount of ram your have. I.E if you have 512mb of ram set the page file to 768mb.

Click on the set button again, and reboot your system. You now have a brand new page file.

Try upgrading your OS to service pack 2.

Check your mobo for bulging, or leaking capacitors. See HERE for further info.

Make sure your ram is compatible with your mobo.

Make sure your system isn`t overclocked in any way.

Check your temperatures.

If you have an Intel cpu with hyperthreading. Try turning off hyperthreading.

Update to the latest version of your onboard sound drivers.

yikes :eek: never knew there was soo many things wrong with my pc and i got hundreds more minidumps still. would it be a good idea to get a new computer?

I don`t think you need to get a new computer just yet.

What we need to do is find out what is causing the crashes.

This could be software, or hardware related, but most likely it`s hardware.

Another thing to check is that your psu is putting out enough power for your system.

Look HERE at this psu wattage calculator.

Check everything I suggested, and let me know the results.

If you would post your 5 or 6 latest minidumps that might help, as some of your previous minidumps are a few weeks old.

Just like the rest of your minidumps the crashing seems to be random.

Try upgrading your OS to service pack 2, as I suggested earlier. I don`t know if this will help or not, but it might.

Your minidumps don`t pinpoint anything in particular as the culprit. This is usually a sign of a hardware problem, either with the hardware itself, or maybe a compatibility issue.

I`m still leaning towards a ram problem at the moment. This could be your physical ram/video ram/L2cache ram of your cpu.

Check with your mobo manufacturers website for a bios update.

Uninstall your Symantec/Norton security product, and try using a different product, such as AVG free, and Zonealarm free.

I`m going to have a word with one of my colleagues, and see if he can come up with any other ideas.

Hello Ash.

Having spoken to my colleague. He agrees with me that it`s probably a ram problem, and a Symantec/norton problem.

Hope this helps.

well i uninstalled my norton anti virus and firewall and updated to service pack 2 but still it still crashed. so its probably a RAM problem then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back