PC Cut Out, 250w PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
P4 3.2ghz
Geforce 6800

I have my computer permenately on, and for the past 6-7 months it has ran fine no problems. But today i decided to load up age of empires 3 and have a go. I was playing the tutorial everything was running fine, i had it in windowed mode so i could check on downloads i was doing as well and there was no problems from switching around. Then the computer just cut out.

My immediate thought was power cut out , but all the other electrical equipment in my room was running fine. Then i decided to take the power out of the back of the pc plug it back. Pressed the power on nothing happened. Checked the plug to see if the fuse had blown but it was fine. I knew the lead was fine as it was also running my 2.1 speakers and they were on. Then i thought the computer may have overheated so i took the side panel off to vent it and cleared away some of the dust near the vents and fan. gave it a good hour came back tried again. This time the Leds on the power button lit up for literally 1/2 a second then went off.

The only thing i can think of the problem being is that the power supply unit is screwed. i had read up that you need a big power supply unit to kep things going well on the computer but had never got round to finding a replacement, thinking that the one inside would suffice.

The model of the psu is FSP250-60PNA-E (PF)

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

3 things.

1) HOW THE HELL DID YOU RUN A 3.2 GHZ AND A 6800 ON 250 WATTS?!?!?
2) Get AT LEAST a 400 watt PSU from a respectable brand like Antec, enermax, PCP&C etc.
3) Never leave your computer permanently on. It stresses the components and it makes them not last as long. You're only awake about 16 hours of the day or less so why leave your computer on for the 8 hours + that you're asleep? Sure it saves like 1 minute in the morning because you don't have to boot it up, but the other thing is that the longer it is on constantly, the slower it gets. Make sure to turn it off before you go to bed every day.

EDIT: NVM about number 1. The reason it worked is because it was a FSP PSU. That is a very good brand as well. Still, when you get a new one MAKE sure it is at least 400 watts and make sure it is a good brand.

thanks very much for the reply. I thought i should have looked at getting a new PSU when i bought the new graphics card, but being the fool i am i thought nah it works alright it'll do.

There was a bog standard graphics card in there when i bought. I have it on all night because i download and upload alot, and unfortuantely i have to make sure i seed when've i download otherwise its bye-bye in some cases.

I am going to order a new PSU off of novatech or dabs now cheers.

Antec SP-400PGB or Nexus Real Silent 400w

After being given some advice i'm looking to buy a new PSU. I realise that these sort of threads get put on here a lot but i am going insane as i don't know which one to choose.

I've read reviews on both of them and they both seem to have alot of thumbs up. The only thing that worries me is that the nexus has 1 fan as opposed to the two on the antec.

I've got the Antec at £39 and the Nexus at £48.80. Any advice would be appreciated. Cheers

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I have merged your new thread into this one.

Out of the two psu`s you mention, I would recommend the Antec, they are a highly respected maker.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back