Pc does not start monitor on startup!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My cousin called me because someone told them the hard drive had a virus on it and thus the reason on startup the monitor never responded. I went there and opened up the machine and brought along an old pc that had a hard disk, graphics card, drives ram and everything... I changed the hard drive, same thing, installed graphics card, still no change. Nothing I did changed. I took the parts back out and reinstalled back on my old pc and hooked it up to the monitor and it all worked. It leaves me wondering if it is the mobo, ram or cpu?

I really look forward to your thoughts. Let me add the system is running XP home 32X

Thank you
rbiddie....

So the monitor doesn't start. Does the computer continue to load though?
(ie flickering lights so forth)
Is there any power to the computer at all?
(ie the power light is also off)

It sounds like power supply issue actually

PC monitor does not start.

Everything comes on. I.E. Fans, hard drive. Monitor does not flicker or anything. Monitor light is constant yellow and never goes to green. Checked monitor on old pc and it works fine. Looks as if it is getting full power in system. When I opened it up was excessives dust and lint inside.

excessives dust
Nothing strange there.

But it's true to say that, you should blow out all internal dust
And even go as far as reseating everything.
(Probably done)

installed graphics card, still no change
Can you reset the Motherboard's bios
Usually this is not just removing the battery, but also shorting the CMOS pins (refer to M/B manual for location of pins)

Actually ideally removing the M/b from the case. Or at least remove every addon data cable, ie HardDrive; Cdrom; Floppy from the M/B end.

Going to do more testing on it.

I am going there today to try everything else.... I will let you know what I find...
Thank you all so much for your input.

Sounds like the monitor to me... if everythings responding correctly you could have a blown monitor... it could be a hardware problem but I doubt it. Also, switching the hard drives like mentioned above wasn't a good troubleshooting step. Try taking an older monitor and hooking up and if that doesnt work. Try some of the steps listed above. And beleive it or not but monitors can shrink in screen size from age, too much, they can dim to a point to where u have to turn the brightness all the way up and still have trouble seeing. From that point like they said clean the M/B, make sure all the hardware is correctly installed, and try a possible new graphics card. If none of these steps work... id say M/B=Blown

Since you have a older PC, may i suggest you try swapping the RAM, VGA card and so on to determine where is the fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back