PC does not start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,
Following are the series of events which stopped my PC from starting
I have Xp pro

1. On logging in on my PC following message appeared
Windows cannot load the locally stored profile. Possible causes of this error include insufficient security rights or a corrupt local profile. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.
DETAIL - An I/O operation initiated by the registry failed unrecoverably. The registry could not read in, or write out, or flush, one of the files that contain the system's image of the registry.

2. i logged in as guest and things went on fine for a few days
3. now suddenly pc doesnt boot. on starting on safe mode it stops at
the point where the drivers are loaded

can anyone please suggest what should i do to get it working

thank for ur help in advance

-rsj

boot from your windows xp cd...let the windows load all the initial files...then select 'repair' option...then log on as administrator...type 'fixboot' and then 'fixmbr' commands...say yes for all questions...then type 'exit'...i think this should work...

To me it sounds like your hard drive is failing. If pushkarn's instructions don't work, I'd find out who made your hard drive and download and burn a copy of the drive's diagnostic software and test the drive for errors. My bet is you'll have to buy a new hard drive.

Almost like Pushkarn's idea except I'd do an actual XP repair installation or at least a chkdsk. Pushkarn's recommendation is the Recovery Console which is the first repair option you're offered. It's loads a basic OS from which you can use repair commands/utilities like fixboot and chkdsk. If you decline Recovery Console and instead proceed with an installation, it then tries to locate the installation. If it does, it offers the second repair option which is a "Repair Installation". That's the one I recommend. If the installation program cannot find the current installation, then the repair option is not offered.

You may have spyware that's corrupting your system. If the repair installation is successful, you may need to run anti-spyware utilities to clean your system. I recommend the following:

• Ad-Aware 2007
  • Spybot Search & Destroy
  • AVG Anti-Spyware
All are free and can be downloaded over the Internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back