PC Frezzes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skrappy213

Hi guys well i have a problem that i dont know what is causing it sometimes when im on my pc out of no where my pc freezes and it freezes to the point that i would have to reboot my pc by pressing the restart button on my desktop.This happends when im running a complete virus scan.Also i just bought a wireless router and when i run the installation i get half way and it freezes and i have to restart.Any help would be appreciated.

This is My Specs

-ECS 945P-A LGA775,PCIX,DDR2
-FAN FOR P5-775PIN SOCKET CPU'S HEAVY DUTY
-VIDEO CARD GEFORCE FX 6600 256MB PCI-E
-HARD DRIVE 250GB 7200RPM 8MB SATA
-MEMORY DDR2 1GB
-FLOOPY DRIVE,1.44MB
-DVD RW/RW DRIVE

Does it freeze on you if you try doing it in safe mode?

check if you do have a virus or nasty lurking around in there, as you said that it causes the freezing when you do a virus scan, and that is usualy a symptom of a few nasties that exists...

Click here for instructions on how to completely check your system, then post a hjt in the security and web forum..

Get a good antivirus such as Bit Defender and do a Scan and it will remove and viruses/spyware from your pc. If it doesnt install or freezes when scanning like before then go onto my computer and right click you r main hard drive > properties > tools > check now and it will fix any errors in your hard drive

fastco said:
What anti-virus are you using? Uninstall if you are using McAfee or Norton and get AVG. https://www.techspot.com/downloads/502-avg-anti-virus-updates.html

Also whenever you install a new program or run any type of setup disable the anti-virus program which could interfere with the installation.

I have kaspersky antivirus but it seems it doesnt happend with only virus program but also some programs...

When i turn on my pc and it starts off on POST i see

Intel ® Pentium ® 4 CPU 3.60GHZ
Speed: 3.60GHz

But when my pc freezes and i restart that turns into

Speed: 3.75GHz

Is it normal to do that?? to go above the 3.60GHz?

Someone told me my pc is overclocking itself...i have never overclock my pc.
Also someone else told me it could be a BIOS problem.
Anyone could tell me their opinion?

open the case up, and inspect your motherboard. While you're there you may as well see if there's any physical damage (burns, capacitor damage, unusual marks etc) on any of the components inside.

You should see a small round battery 15mm in size. You can try taking that out and puting it back in after a minute (ie bios reset) and/or checking/replacing it if its dying (not enough current)

you didn't mentioned if you could get into safe mode or not..

yup i went into safe mode and ran antivirus once it was scanning the pc froze
but what i dont get its what i posted

When i turn on my pc and it starts off on POST i see

Speed: 3.60GHz

But when my pc freezes and i restart that turns into

Speed: 3.75GHz

Is it normal to do that?? to go above the 3.60GHz?

Its normal for the cpu clock speed to deviate a bit, eg mine is original at 3200MHz (3.2GHz) and goes between 3197MHz to 3201MHz (stock speed, no overclock) but a 150MHz bump like so could mean either your RAM timing's changed, FSB changed, inconsitant power or some bug in the motherboard electronics.

Antivirus and other scanners usualy tax a lot of CPU power as well as alot of other resources out of the machine at one time. seeing that it still exist in safe mode (minimum programs active) then it could be either a stubborn nastie (rare) or a hardware problem. So my question is this: Does it happen during any other time like an intensive game or a movie etc?

To rule out hardware, theres a few things i'd like you to do, and answer if you've done it and if it fixed anything.

Download Everest Home (google for it). Install it and take a look at Computer>Sensor page, post all the info on the Temperatures and Voltages.
Start a virus scan and then take another reading after a minute into it, or before you know the PC will freeze and post the info again.

Download Memtest on a bootable CD or Floppy and run it for 10 passes or more with 1 stick of ram at a time, then alternate to the other stick if you have more than 1 running on your system. Note if you have any errors/fail or not.

Go to Start>Run cmd type in chkdisk /f
if it tells you that it needs to be run after you reboot your PC say 'Yes' and reboot. Let it fix any errors.

If there's no errors on memtest and chkdisk has fixed all the other errors, and you're still stuck with the virus scanner, then follow what i've told you to do in my previous post (inspecting the motherboard, reseting the BIOS etc) and tell me the results of it.

Sensor Properties:
Sensor Type Winbond W83627THF (ISA 290h)
GPU Sensor Type Diode (NV-Diode)
Chassis Intrusion Detected Yes

Temperatures:
Motherboard 30 °C (86 °F)
CPU 69 °C (156 °F)
Aux 113 °C (235 °F)
GPU Diode 73 °C (163 °F)
Maxtor 6Y250M0 40 °C (104 °F)

Cooling Fans:
CPU 2312 RPM

Voltage Values:
CPU Core 1.32 V
Aux 1.44 V
+3.3 V 3.25 V
+5 V 5.05 V
+12 V 7.04 V
+5 V Standby 4.95 V
VBAT Battery 3.09 V

THIS IS WHEN IM RUNNIN THE ANTIVIRUS

Sensor Properties:
Sensor Type Winbond W83627THF (ISA 290h)
GPU Sensor Type Diode (NV-Diode)
Chassis Intrusion Detected Yes

Temperatures:
Motherboard 30 °C (86 °F)
CPU 72 °C (162 °F)
Aux 113 °C (235 °F)
GPU Diode 72 °C (162 °F)
Maxtor 6Y250M0 41 °C (106 °F)

Cooling Fans:
CPU 2312 RPM

Voltage Values:
CPU Core 1.31 V
Aux 1.46 V
+3.3 V 3.25 V
+5 V 5.08 V
+12 V 7.04 V
+5 V Standby 4.95 V
VBAT Battery 3.09 V

I tested the ram nothing wrong with it, also ran chkdisk no errors were found.I have not open it up yet but i will and ill have a look at it.Ill reply back. By the way thx for helping N3051M

two things that caught my eye that you realy need to check on is the CPU temps being ridiculously high and a very strange voltage reading..

CPU:
Open the PC up, get a vacuum cleaner or a can of compressed air and give the insides a good dusting, paying special attention to the Heatsink (silver block of aluminium with fins on it). Clean up the fans as well and ensure they are functioning properly. *Optional* tie up any loose cables to the sides/edges of the case..

PSU:
With the PC still open, look for the PSU (grey or black box that all the power cables come to/from etc) and on one of its sides should be a sticker. Post everything you see on that sticker (make/model, voltage/amps rating etc). *Optional* Google how to test your PSU, and note what voltages and amps is comming up in the +12V line...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back