PC hangs

Status
Not open for further replies.
My PC hangs from time to time, mainly when I'm playing multmedia like audio and movies and while compiling.
But also on the login dialog of my Windows 2000 Pro OS.

System:
Motherboard: AOpen AK73(A)
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 1,5GHz 1700+
2 HHD 7200rpm
1 DVD/CD-Rom + 1 CD-R/W
AGP Videocard (Hercules)
512MB SDRAM (2x256)
1 Floppy
PSU: 250W

I've been looking for a solution, but so far no straight forward answer found. For now I think it's the power supply as I noticed that all cases are now sold with a 300W PSU.

I've found the following page to define the amount of power required.
http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com/maxpc/index_cases.htm
But I believe it's a bit extreme if you take the maximum values, cause a 300W wouldn't be able to deliver the required power for a common configuration.

Before I head off to the shop I was hoping that someone here could assure me that this would solve my problems.

Hope someone can help....

Welcome to TechSpot

As you surmised correctly, you need to buy a larger PSU.
For everyday use, your current PSU just about gives enough juice to drive the PC, but when you go into more intensive programs, such as games or play DVD etc. you supply the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Go buy a 400W or over PSU from the likes of Enermax or Antec or Thermaltake. Don't skimp on money for a PSU, you will need this type of power sooner or later anyway when you upgrade.

Thanks everybody

I like to inform you all that I wanted to give my PC a real test before heading of to the store. I disconnected the CD-R/W and really went nuts on opening programs and running multimedia. Yet is got stuck!
Then after disconnecting another drive did the same thing and for now everything runs smooth.

So to make a long story short my advice is take the advice of realblackstuff!

Thanks again an a happy easter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back