PC keeps probing floppy drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new Dell PC running WinXP. The floppy drive is functional, but every minute or so the floppy drive light goes on for a few seconds and the system slows down slightly. When I am running some applications or when I am in some web sites the floppy drive light goes on even more frequently. How can I make the system stop probing the floppy drive like this? I don't want to disable the floppy, as I occasionally use it to back up small files. (Can you believe that Dell tech support advised me to cut the wires to the floppy drive?!)
Thanks.

Have you examined and downloaded all the drivers for your Service Tag model of Dell. Some Dells that had this problem received a fix that was posted on the driver list for various models.
On some computers, it just happens. Usually basic budget versions of Dell desktops... 2200, 2300, 2350, 2400, 3000, 5000, and 5100. Various Compaq desktops, Sony VAIO desktops, eMachines, and SystemMax computers as well.
Fixes include: Exchanging the floppy drive for an old model... prior to 1999... they are much better designed and built... and are free or less than $5.00 here.
or
since you probably do not need the floppy drive more than two or three times each year, unplug the power socket and/or the flat ribbon cable that goes from the motherboard to the floppy drive. Then plug them in only when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back