Pc keeps rebooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a strange problem,i have a pentium 4 with a via p4t8 motherboard, and everytime when i start my pc it doesn't pass the post screen ,i can't get in the boot menu or in the setup menu
so booting any media like win xp cd isn't possible i already disconnected the hard drive and dvd rom but still the same problem
anybody knows how i can solve this?

1. Does it turn on or just bootup and shutdown and turn off?
2. When did this problem first start? What did you add to your system prior?
3. How old is the system?

Could be a defective CPU, Video, RAM, Power Supply or the MOBO itself.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Unplug your computer from the mains, and open your case.

Disconnect anything not required to make your computer post.

Check all cables, and connections, and make sure that everything is seated correctly.

Check your ram. Try moving it to a different dimm slot. Also, just try using one stick of ram.

Check you mobo for bulging, or leaking capacitors. See HERE for more info.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

it starts up and it search for my hard drive and then it just reboots ,i already disconnected the hard drive ,the dvd-rom drive and i changed the ram from place, i cleared the cmos too
in the right corner i see some kind of code first 8F and then 91

tipstir said:
1. Does it turn on or just bootup and shutdown and turn off?
2. When did this problem first start? What did you add to your system prior?
3. How old is the system?

Could be a defective CPU, Video, RAM, Power Supply or the MOBO itself.
1. It turn on but doesn't start windows or any kind
2. pc is a year old,i added nothing

The code 8F means Floppy check returns that floppy is to be initialized. Floppy setup to follow.

The code 91 means Hard disk presence test over. Hard disk setup to follow.

It could be that your hard drive has failed.

Regards Howard :)

What is the last thing you can see before it reboots? Does it make any difference if IDE devices are plugged in or not?

its searching for ide primary and then it shows 91 in the left corner, i can't access setup or boot options either

Oh well, doesn't look too good. Can you get a similar motherboard to test subsequent devices and determine by exclusion which ones are working and which ones are not? Seems to me, like you might need some new hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back