PC Locking UP

Status
Not open for further replies.
My PC has been having problems on occasion of locking up. This was only happening once in a while when I ran mIRC, but not everytime. However, this has happened to me 3 times tonight and I did not have mIRC running.

When this occurs, my PC locks up approx every 30 seconds for approx 30 seconds. When it does do this, I lose my internet conneciton which is cable/RoadRunner. At this time I am forced to reboot. I did noticed this last time this happened, that it appears it locks up everytime the PC attempts to make a conneciton to something like email, website, ping command, etc..

So I think I have determined what is causing the lockups, but cant seems to figure out why this is happening. Below is a list of my system as well as a screen shot of my proccess that were running the last time it had locked up on me. ANY help would be greatly appreciated! Please feel free to email me at dolfan@nc.rr.com.

Processor: AMD Duron 1.6
Motherboard: K7SEM
Memory: 384MB (1-256 chip and 1-128MB chip)

Running Processes:

ASYSMGR.EXE
BTDOWNLOADGUI.EXE
CCAPP.EXE
CCEVTMGR.EXE
CSRSS.EXE
EXPLORER.EXE
LSASS.EXE
MDM.EXE
NAVAPSVC.EXE
POPUPSTOPPERPROFFESIONAL.EXE
SERVICES.EXE
SMSS.EXE
SPOOLSV.EXE
SVCHOST.EXE
SVCHOST.EXE
SVCHOST.EXE
SVCHOST.EXE
SYSTEM
SYSTEM IDLE PROCESS
TASKMGR.EXE
WINAMPA.EXE
WINLOGON.EXE

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated. THis has been driving me crazy!

Glen

IRQ conflict?

One thing I would definately do is close every possible process you have running other than svchost.exe, winlogon, and explorer. To get rid of Norton AV running in the background I believe you need to stop a Service (run, services.msc, locate the service, right click and hit Stop). See if it still happens.

At first it most likely seems to some sort of conflict somewhere.

Boot into the Option Menu (F8) and select Safe Mode. See if your system locks. If it doesn't, then, as the other guy said, you have a resource conflict. To troubleshoot this, from Start, Run, type MSCONFIG. Tab over to the Start Menu and uncheck items that are not required to run Windows (research before unchecking). Now try again in normal mode. One other rare thing to consider, your screensaver. If you have one, select None ... then test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back