PC not booting after CPU install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I just recently tried to upgrade my HP P4 2.8 ghz CPU to a P4 3.0.. I removed the CPU fan/heatsink, then removed the cpu chip..laid the other chip in(correctly) put the heatsink/fan back on top...then tried to boot up my PC and the power supply would come on, CD rom would flash....I noticed the cpu fan was not spinning, and on the front of my pc, I only had a amber colored light. I was thinking CPU might not have been compatible, but it fit perfectly. I put in back my previous 2.8 cpu and it still did the same thing. What am I doing wrong? Have a totally screwed up my PC? please help!

Thank you!

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot

Well...............................
no probably not fried it.
Did you clear cmos?
I'm not sure what your system requires but ussually it's jumper very near the battery on the MoBo. Or pull the battery out for a few min's.
Are these p4 or p4 celerons?
Oh yeah, make certain you have fresh thermal paste.

I did try to clear the CMOS and still nothing..however, I didn't pull the battery. It's just a P4.

I mainly got the 3.0 because it has HT, and I noticed in my bios I could enable HT..i'm assuming that is, if I had a CPU that had HT.

So you think it could be the battery needs pulled? I'm desperate..I have so much I hate to lose on that PC. I can't figure out why the CPU fan will not operate..when it was working perfectly fine.

Hmmm?

Battery could be bad but was refering to reset cmos
if no jumper found. After reset have you reinstalled orginal cpu?
Just to get you back where you started.
could be a compatability issue.
Where did new cpu come from?

Yeah I've even tried to reset CMOS after putting in the original CPU...and still nothing. Something is not making sense though. I'm back at work now so I'm not in front of my PC..so when I get home I will try to pop the battery out and back and and look for a jumper. Anything else you could recommend? I bought the new CPU from intel, i even tried it on another machine with the same CPU i previously had and the new CPU worked fine on that machine...so I just do not know what to do..I just want to get my PC back up and going.

Yes

Check this POST
Follow Tedster's guide. You may want to print it if no Inet at home.
We should be able to sort this out..
G'Luck and Hang in there.

Well I tried pulling the battery and putting it back in...still the same thing. Although I must've missed reading the part about you saying applying fresh thermal paste..I noticed that the thermal paste on there is barely there and kind of dried up almost...Could that be the problem??????

I'm sure it's adding to it but not likely the cause.
Try tedster's guide above.
If you have another pc there try some of the main stuff in there
like ram, vid etc.

thanks for all of your help socrates. I finally discovered it was the motherboard. I must have somehow not been grounded good enough when I was swapping processors. I test everything in another machine and they worked..I unplugged everything except the motherboard from the power supply, and when I did that nothing happened..all i got was the same orange light. I went ahead and called HP, and thankfully I'm still under warrany so they are sending me another one..should be here any time.

I have another question...Could the reason why my motherboard blew was because I only upgraded the cpu chip and not heatsink and fan? Does that make a difference? And what's the best way to find out the max my CPU power my board can hold? If it helps..It's a Intel 845GV chipset.

Awesome warr.! kiester saver! :bounce:
Could the reason why my motherboard blew was because I only upgraded the cpu chip and not heatsink and fan?
Not sure on that one. P4 3.0 might require a different heatsink and fan
but if you bought it from intel it should've come with the right one.
Was this an OEM chip, boxed?

What model MoBo?
Chipsets can work on various cpu socket types
ie; amd 939 & your board could have the same chipset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back