Pc powers on, but nothing else

Status
Not open for further replies.

knuckleball

i built this pc and its been working great for about a year. all brand new parts. anyway, i was out of town and from what i was told my son powered it down from the button my surge protector instead of the power button or windows shutdown. whatever happened, now when i turn it on, i get power but thats all. no bios, windows etc. i dont have spare parts anymore to swap out and troubleshoot it. i have reseated everything and made sure all the connections are tight inside. hooked up a different monitor and tossed in another harddrive from another computer. still nothing. any ideas?

how sure are you that your son is really telling what happened? simply turning off the surge protector should't cause said problem...

mystery

I've had similar prob's.
though completly unrelated.
The most common I've run into is video.
Are you getting the bios beep just after the video bios loads(when you'd press delete to enter bios)?

my son is only 8. i sure hope he is telling me the truth. then again he knows how i am with my computers. i dont get a bios beep anymore. havent tried entering into it. i just wouldnt think my video card would be bad after only 8 mos. the computer has been only lightly used. up until recently, no games or video use at all.

ok. i checked again. no bios beep and i cant enter into bios either or if it does i cant see it. just black screen. is there anyway i can test if the vid card is bad without having a spare or taking apart another computer?

sorry to keep posting to myself. after taking apart another computer testing vid card, mem, etc. i pulled out the cmos battery (again) this time for like an hour instead of 5 minutes, put it back in and it booted back up. thanks for the input though.

Awesome!

Thats cool you got it figgered out!
I think I would replace cmos battery &
maybe check for newer bios upgrades..:grinthumb

it's good you posted the solution, it benefits others reading here (who may even have the same/similar problem)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back