PC randomly Shuts Down, think it might be my cpu...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, well i'm sure you've heard this problems before.
My PC keeps shutting off randomly for no reason.
And before you say, its definetly not overheating,
I have a Thermaltake Xazer Wingo case, which has more fans than you can count. (Also i checked the CPU temp in the bios, and when it was running on high load, via a 3rd Party piece of software)
my AMD Althlon 64 939 3200+ normally averages out at about 45 degrees under load.
However now and then i can hear a strange wirring noise coming from one of the fans( it sorta sounds like the fan slowing down and speeding up again), i think its either the VGA or the PSU fan. Possibly the CPU, i'm not sure its hard 2 distinguish between all the fans lol.

and a faint buzz coming from the Power supply
(550 Watt Colourlite Piece of cheap crap)
So my bet is that its the PSU thats dieing.

Wow this is the longest the PC has gone without shutting down. As i'm writing this i have the side of my case open, and it doesn't seem 2 be shutting off.
the Graphics Card i have in is a 6600GT (AGP) which needs 1 molex power connector if that helps.
Or could this just all be a software fault? No message comes up, and the PC runs fine no lagging or skipping, but suddenly poof, PCs off.

Do you think i might be able to claim a warranty on my PSU?
Just throw your opinions at me please

it is probably your PSU. you can buy a chaep PSU tester for around 12.00.

With my AMD64 3500 and 6600GT PCIe with 1 HDD SATA, I blew up a generic cheapy 450W. Smoke poured out the back fan exhaust. :haha: It was a week old. Yep most likely your PSU.

Cheers.

I'm not sure if warrantying would be worth the trouble. You'll still end up with a crappy PSU. Maybe that one will blow up and take out your motherboard and CPU. Bite the bullet and just go for a new, good quality power supply and be done with it.

will there be difference between stock PSU 450W and brand 450W? I mean they are both 450W?

cheap generic PSU's are built substandard. they do not provide the watts they claim because of this and often exhibit erratic voltages. the old addage, "You get what you pay for" is doubly true with PSU's .outfits like Antec and PC Power&cooling build quality PSU's that meet or exceed the standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back