PC reboots by itself: Minidumps attached! Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abarajas6

I built a new PC about 3 months ago. All the parts came from TigerDirect.com. My problem is the following: For some reason my PC will reboot out of the blue. Usually happens while playing World of Warcraft, but has happened when it is sitting at idle with no applications running. It has also rebooted while playing other games including Sims2 and Half-life2I have ran spyware removal and virus scans which all turn out clean. Someone suggested it was a overheating isssue but that holds little waight since the rebooting happens sporadically at different temps. I cant seem to get memtest to run since I have no floppy dirve and the CD version wont work for me. The only thing I have yet to do was post my minidumps which I will do now. A friend told me it could be my HDD but im not sure that is the case.

Computer Specs:

Field Value
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

Motherboard
CPU Type AMD Athlon 64, 2200 MHz (11 x 200) 3200+
Motherboard Name Asus K8V SE Deluxe (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 WiFi, 3 DDR DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8383 Apollo K8T800, AMD Hammer
System Memory 1024 MB (DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (08/03/04)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT (256 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT
Monitor Philips 107E [17" CRT] (CX 384411)

Multimedia
Audio Adapter Creative SB0410 SB Live! 24-bit Sound Card

Storage
IDE Controller VIA Bus Master IDE Controller
SCSI/RAID Controller VIA Serial ATA RAID Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive Maxtor 6L200P0 (189 GB, IDE)
Optical Drive LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1693S
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions
C: (NTFS) 194466 MB (155186 MB free)

Input
Keyboard Logitech PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse Logitech-compatible Mouse PS/2

Network
Network Adapter MAC Bridge Miniport - Packet Scheduler Miniport (169.254.55.214)
Network Adapter Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Adapter, Copper RJ-45 (192.168.1.102)

What burning programme do you use?

After unzipping the Memtest86+ programme, you need to burn the resulting file as an image.

Regards Howard :) :)

I use Nero.

As far as burning it as an image...what exactly do you mean. I don't believe
there is an option to burn the file as an image when I go to burn the CD. Aslo what exactly will the memtest program be doing? Checking my memory? or checking if programs are getting errors?

Thanks Alot!

What you need to do is after you have unzipped the file, open nero burning rom. Not nero express.

When Nero opens, cancel the multi session window. Now on the toolbar click on recorder, and select burn image.

Browse to where you unzipped the memtest file, click on it, and then click open.

now click on the burn button.

The resulting cd will be bootable.

Leave the cd in your drive, and reboot your computer. Note, you will need to make sure your boot priority in bios is set to boot from cd-rom first, then hdd

memtest86+ will check your ram for errors.

Awesome! But befor I try this...how will I be able to save reports made by memtest? For example will it automatically save the reports to a pre-determined folder, which I can then upload her for further analysis? or will it display an error during the test, which I should copy down?

Thanks again!

Memtest will run indeffinitely untill you stop it.

The programme will test your ram, 1 complete test is called a pass.

If it detects any errors you will see which test failed, and how many errors it has found.

You need to let the programme run for at least seven passes before stopping it.

This will take a considerable amount of time, so be prepaired to wait several hours.

Just before you stop the programme make a note of how many errors it has found(if any)

If memtest finds errors, then your ram is bad.

K will run memtest over night...so if memtest finds any errors its my memory that is bad eh? im scared :confused:

If it turns out that your ram is bad, at least you`ll know why your system is crashing.

Also, ram is very cheap these days, and easy to replace.

Ok ran memtest over night...Woke up and it had 0 errors! :p anyways the test ran for 9 hours and got no errors. guess my memory is ok. Any suggestions now?

Minidumps dated 23-21-20-18/10/05 all crash at P17.sys. This is one of your soundcard drivers.

Check on the creative website for any updated drivers.

Minidump dated 19/10/05 crashed at avg7rsxp.sys. This is your AVG antivirus programme. Check for any updates from the AVG website. This may just be a one off crash.

Your minidump dated 30/10/05 crashes with memory corruption, and a bug check of 4e. Look HERE for further info.

Your minidump dated 2/11/05 crashes at ntkrnlpa.exe, with a bugcheck of 19. This is a symptom of faulty ram. Is your 1024MB of ram in two sticks? If so try running your system with just one stick of ram. Try swapping your ram to a different dimm slot.

Regards Howard :)

two sticks of 512 ddr pny.

i think my problem may be the soundcard but ive updated it fromt the site again.

i will update the soundcard and avg.

ill post the minidump of the next crash, which should happen soon since it happens daily.

Was talking to a good friend of mine and explained what was going on with my pc.. he said it could be that since one of my minidumps should a crash at the soundcard that the onboard sound and soundcard are conflicting. I went into the bios and disabled the ac97 onboard sound option. Could that have been one of the problems? will see if i get any more sporadic reboots. also could it be a prob with possibly a bad HDD? even though its new? is their a diagnostics tool to test HDDS?

thanks again

Yes. Running your system with both the onboard sound, and your separate soundcard enabled may well be the cause.

Well it finally happened.

PC rebooted about 3 seconds after World of Warcraft had connected and loaded.

Minidump attached with Screen shots of the error I recieve from Windows.

Your minidump cashes at ntkrnlpa.exe, with a bugcheck of 19 as above.

I think your have a ram problem. This could be your physical ram/video ram/L2 cache ram of your cpu.

Did you try just running your system with one stick of ram? Also did you try swapping your ram to a different dimm slot?

If your system is overclocked in any way reset to the default settings.

I don`t know what else to suggest.

I will ask cpc2004 to take a look, and see what he thinks.

Well I bought 2 sticks of RAM to use them both :blush:

I will switch the DIMM slots to see if that works.

Also how could it be a RAM problem if I ran memtest for 8+ hours with no errors?

I think your have a ram problem. This could be your physical ram/video ram/L2 cache ram of your cpu.

Is there possibly anyway to check these other RAM's for problems?

Thanks for all the help

Some faulty ram can pass Memtest.

As for testing the other ram I`m not sure how you would go about it.

You can however stress test your system by running the Prime95 programme from HERE

Just to let you know, that I`ve been in contact with cpc2004, and he has confirmed my findings, that it is a ram problem.

It is now upto you to discover what type of ram is the culprit.

The Prime95 programme can point to errors with your ram, as well as your cpu.

Please see the attached text file.

When you solve the problem as you surely will. Please would you be so kind as to let us know for our records. Thanks.

Regards and good luck Howard :) :)

Switched the DIMMS slots of the ram from:

X - X

to

X X -

And so far today hasnt rebooted at all today. Have that Prime95 test running in the background for about 15 hours now.

Well thought I fixed the problem by switching the DIMM slots of the RAM but when I returned home from work the same error msg from windows as I posted above was showing. So it ran a good day and a half before rebooting itself.

here is the minidump

I want to purchase new ram but do not want to shell out the money for it until i am 100% sure it is the cause. Talked to a friend who works with comps for a living and told him i let memtest run for 8+ hours and it should no errors and he told me then it couldnt be the RAM but others say it is the cause :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back