PC Resets - weird memory slot issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I am having a strange problem with my PC. I have a year old motherboard (Leadtek Winfast K7nCR18D Pro) and a new Athlon XP 3000+ and new 2 x 1GB corsair value sticks.

My PC is randomly resetting itself even sitting at the bios screen, just as though the reset button had been pressed. I disconnected all the drives and it still happens. I have installed a new PSU, and it still happens.

This is the bit that confuses me.... I have three dimm slots, one black two blue (for dual channel). If I put either of the chips only in the black slot I get NO problems at all. If I put either of the chips only in either of the blue slots it randomly resets, this happens whether I have a single chip in one of the blue slots or both chips in both blue slots. Obviously when there is only one chip in one blue slot the bios does not show 'dual channel enabled'.

Is there any difference in the way a motherboard deals with the memory in the blue slots which could indicate a problem with the memory? or is it likely the motherboard is dying?

Thanks for your help....

Assuming the RAM is correct for your PC go into BIOS and set DRAM or RAM or whatever your RAM is listed under to Auto, reboot and see if that helps. ALso, make sure that you have the RAM in the correct slots for DDR (probably the two blue as you stated).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back