Pc restart whenever I'm on microsoft word

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
I'm new here and I guess the title says it all. Every time when I do some work on ms word my pc will restart itself at random times. Just for your info, there's nothing running on the pc while I'm on ms word. By the way I'm using windows xp, intel pentium D dual core processor, 512mb ram and power supply tecom 450w. Kinda weird I know but it happens almost every time I'm on ms word and only word else it never restart like tat. Anyone can help? Thanks :)

Tedster said:
random restarts are usually due to PSU and/or RAM issues.

test both.

How do I test em? and btw, my pc now seems to be working slower than usual after several restart a few days back especially the start up. It would normally take less than a minute but now its like almost 2 mins. :( Thanks again

same problem :)

That's wierd :hotouch: I had the same problem, it appeared about 5 days ago - the computer rebooted immediately or some little time after opening documents (only) in MS Word.

Then I figured that you can provoke the reboot every time with FILE -> PRINT - even from other programs. That didn't happen in safe mode and there were no printers available there, so I deleted all printers and the problem is solved! Then I added the printer back again and everything is OK.

Hope this helps,

Hrvoje Dagelic

Why not try what jobeard has suggested ?

Does word impose such an additional load on the RAM or PSU ?

I once had a problem that word would close straight after being invoked.

Uninstall & reinstall solved the problem.

Yes, you could try uninstall/reinstall, but I tried it too and it didn't help with my problem. But maybe it's not the same problem... Just try file -> print and if it reboots every time that's it. Go to start -> printers and faxes, delete all the printers, try ms word, and then add them back again with 'add printer'.

PS I had also one hidden PDF printer so open windows explorer (winkey + 'E') and go to Tools -> Folder options -> View and select 'show hidden files and folders' before deleting printers.

Thanks for all the help ppl but abt the printer thing, I didn't even on my printer when I'm on word. And the funny thing is that wheneven I on my printer, it has less chance of restarting. No my pc is acting up. Slow start up and multi tasking seems impossible. Guess I have to bring my pc for check up :( The damage has been done!

Print drivers become part of the application. Try uninstall -- reinstall your printer software :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back