Pc restarting randomly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

omegapoint

Well, first of all, thanks. My name is Damián, and I'm from Argentina. I've been having this problem a long time now, and after looking for the solution for too long, I've decided to look for some help. Reading what other people had to say after you helped them, I decided this was the way to go, so here I am.

The problem is that, basically, my PC has been restarting randomly. If it doesn't restart sometimes I get a BSOD with a PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. Sometimes I get a 0x00000008e, or a 0x000000050. If not it can be a 1000008e, or things like that. Sometimes while I'm playing a game, sometimes when I'm surfing the web, it's like completely random.

I have:
-flashed my BIOS
-bought new RAM sticks
-checked the CPU temperature and voltages
-tweaked things at CMOS like DRAM CAS latency and Bank Interleave (I'm not sure if I did that right!!)
-formatted and reinstalled XP

and a long etc. So, after all that I decided to upload some minidumps and just hope for the best

My PC:

Athlon XP 2.6+
Motherboard ASUS A7V8X-MX
GeForce FX 5200 (on an ASUS V9520)
1 GB 333 Mhz RAM

and basically that's it, I have a CD-RW, a DVD-ROM and an 80 Gb HD.

If someone could help me, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
Damián

Edit: Please use proper thread titles from now on. Thanks.

It's a 400 W and I've tested it with Speedfan, as another thread suggested, before posting. I don't know, perhaps I haven't tested it long enough

questions: is it doing the shutdown sequence or is it cutting out?
another one is power surges, is your power reliable?

i know from experience with people in more remote areas with poor telephone and electricity that they get surges or dips in power which will either over power or loose power. (Loosing Net connection / PC seems to reset / shutdown)

then we can distingush if it's software or hardware, or both lol

Jim,

Iknow this is obvious but do you have a good antivirus/spyware? Because my mate had a virus that shutdown his computer every 30 minutes on the dot (apparently)

"From the True, 861i"

yes, in fact I do. I don't think that's the problem, I've scanned my system many times looking for *anything*. No strange things show up on HiJackThis either

j4m32:
No, It restarts, it doen't shut down. And many times I get a BSOD and the system gets to create a minidump and all. I've attached a few of them, I would really appreciate if someone looked at them, 'cause I don't know how to read them

Tedster:
I wrote that I bought new memory. I thought it was a memory issue, but nothing showed up on memtest. But because it kept restarting I bought new ram, and still nothing shows up.
I attached some minidumps in my first post, can someone take a look at them?

Well, this is what I did:
I changed the CPU Bus Clock, from 166 to 133 (My PC is supposed to work at 166 2.6+ (1900 GHz) and now at 133 it's working at 2.0+ (1500 GHz)
Then I did the same thing to the DRAM clock (from 166 to 133). Now my memory is running at 266 instead of 333.
The catch is that my system CAN work at 166, because my manuals say so... but now my PC hasn't crashed since I did this, and I know it's not my memory cause I tested it long enough...
so...
What's going on??

Motherboard Chipset messing up, or the motherboard is screwed up somehow. Just my guess. Or FSB problem.

"motherboard screwed up somehow" means I have to change it, I'm OK with it, but is there any other thing that could be done or any way to test it? and, is there ANYTHING that can be configured on the micro? in any way? or is it just the DIP switches on the motherboard and the CMOS?

I'm having the same problem

hy, my name is octavian, I'm from Romania and I have the same problem; when I least expect my computer is suddently restarting; it's not from XP because I've reformatted over 10 times by now; it might be the power suplly cause it's noname(400w intex) or it could be motherboard (matasonic, amd athlon 1800+, geforce 5200 fx, 256 mb ram 233hz I think) cause i've had problems with my network adaptor 2 months ago, and when I've put it back in place I 've scrathed a little some connectors of a chipset :)) but that's not it cause I'm having this problem since I bought the pc...so... don't know ..it simply restarts without any blue screen of death ..nothing...:(( ' I'll try though to test my memory like suggested ; let's hope it will work out

Well, glad for you panacorbuli, but now I know that my memmory is not the culprit. It's either my MoBo, my micro, or some setting on the CMOS, perhaps my PSU, I don't know. Suggestions are welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back