PC restarts when writing to cd

Status
Not open for further replies.

john_le_squash

Sorry I haven't visited the site for a while, truth is I'm not very technical when it comes to PC matters, so don't feel I can be much help to people with problems.

It's a couple of years since Howard Hopkins sorted out my virus problem, I've had viruses since but Howard's original instructions on removal have always resolved my virus problems to date.

The problem I now have is my computer keeps restarting, but not randomly.
If I try to write to my Sony DVD recorder the PC reboots. This has only started happening recently.
I use Nero version 7 software to write to disk and suspecting that the software might have been corrupted I deleted the software and reloaded it but this did not cure the problem. I then tried using Windows media player to write to a cd, and once again the pc rebooted, suggestin it is not a software problem.
Following reboot the pc loads to the XP select user window, and when I select a use the pc loads the environment providing a view of the desktop but then reboots itself. This rebooting process can continue for 3 or 4 reboots before the pc stabilises and can be used again.

I HAVE FOLLOWED Howards advice from previous communications and run the following procedures

1) Trend online scan
2) AVG anti spware
3)Spy bot search and destroy
4) Ad aware
5)AVG anti virus (my virus guard utility)
6) C Cleaner
7) Spware Doctor
8) Smitfraud Vundofix and Look2me

and none of these processes have stopped the problem.

I would be grateful of any help you could offer.

Thanks

John_le_squash

Have a look at the event viewer. It may not have had a chance to record anything but it might be worth a look to see if there are any red flagged events in there.
Find it at Start > Settings > Control Panel > Admin Tools > Event Viewer > System. If you find a red one, double click to see more.
I suspect the drive but it may just be one of the symptoms you have of another malaise.

I have checked the event viewer as you suggested, and there are many red events, many dhcp errors which seem to be internet connection errors, W32 time errors which suggest trying to obtain a time, however nothing which seems to point at the cd writer.

The writer is still able to read and play disks, the problem only arises when attempting to write. Have you any thoughts on why the system would fail to reboot several times after experiencing this error?

What I would normally do is fit a replacement drive as I usually have them on hand - this is not always practical! If nothing in the event viewer, there are two avenues to follow:
1 - find and install an updated version of Nero because it is a software error
2 - check the drivers and the drive because is it a hardware error.

As this started without warning I would not be surprised if it was linked to a windows update - you could try a system restore to a time before it first went wrong.

system crash when writing to cd

I've been on holiday so haven't responded to the forum for a while.

I've now cleaned the dust out of my pc and fans and checked that all the fans are working. The fans are all clean and functioning correctly, so I tried again to write to cd, once again it failed, the machine then crashed on 4 seperate power ons and only on the 4th attempt did it reboot without crashing.

I have attached the file which the system creates following a crash, I presume that this is the dump requested.

Any further advice would be gratefully apreciated, failing that I will have to reformatting my drive to see if that resolves the problem.

Thanks

John_le_squash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back