Pc Shutting Itself Off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
THE PROBLEM IS WITH AN eMACHINE PC RUNNING WINDOWS XP, PC SHUTS ITSELF OFF JUST AS IF THE PC WAS UNPLUGGED AT THE MAINS.

IT WILL NOT ALLOW ME TO SWITCH BACK ON USING THE BUTTON ON THE FRONT OF THE CASE I CAN ONLY GET IT TO START UP AGAIN BY UNPLUGGING IT AND THEN PLUGGING IT BACK IN AGAIN.

BUT ALTHOUGH IT SHUTS OFF YOU CAN STILL HEAR THE FAN INSIDE THE CASE, NOT AS LOUD AS IT IS WHEN POWERED UP BUT CAN STILL BE HEARD, SO THERE IS STILL POWER THERE.

IVE OPENED IT UP AND REMOVED ALL DUST FROM THE HEATSINK AND INSIDE THE CASE THINKING THIS WAS THE PROBLEM BUT I PLUGGED IT BACK IN AND IT POWERED UP I ATTEMPTED TO SIGN ONTO AOL AND THEN AS SOON AS AOL OPENED THE SCREEN WENT BLANK AGAIN AND THE PC SEEMED TO SHUT DOWN AGAIN BUT LIKE I SAID BEFORE, THERE IS SOUND COMING FROM INSIDE THE HOUSING CASE AS IF ITS STILL RUNNING.

ANY SUGGESTIONS, THE PC IS ONLY 1 YEAR OLD.

And from the distaff side: Our research on 200+ (nearly 250 now) eMachines shows that 14 models for certain and 9 probable models built since 2003 and as late as 2006 do not benefit from the change in power supply. In those models, the problem is not in the power supply, but in the motherboard. It will cost $159.95 to $211.95 for a replacement motherboard that will allow you to use your recovery disc set.
What you describe is typical of those with a motherboard problem: memory work, power supply is one, CPU fan works, hard drive works. But shutdowns continue to recur and an increasing level until it quits.
Replacing the power supply will cost you $40 to $70, and not change a thing except to lighten your wallet on those models.
Good luck to you. Suggest you try a borrowed power supply before you waste any money.

I was wondering about this raybay. I have seen many Emachines systems last year, and I noticed that the motherboard was the root cause of many failures. I make it a habit to replace both the motherboards and the power supplies at the same time. I can usually buy both from Newegg for less than $200. Of course the Emachines recovery disks cannot be used with cheaper replacement motherboards. Most of the time the recovery discs are obsolete anyway...

On another note,
Wal-Mart is selling Emachines computers like hotcakes. The low-end HP's are popular too

Similar Problem but Worse

I have a similar problem, but it got worse. For you, it might be a graphics card or sound card. Mine restarts too. But now, this time, it restarted, and it asks me
"start windows normally, Start in safe mode, start in last known configuration, and Safe mode with Networking".
I choose one of those, and it loads windows XP for about a second, and then it restarts again, and it keeps on doing that!
Somebody please help!
I have an Alienware computer

Our position is that eMachines has known of the problem for a long time, and should have notified all customers before they lost equipment and data. We now have nearly 250 machines in our wirehouse, and each machine is taken down by true engineers. We have identified 14 by model number, all in huge numbers... sold by Wal-Mart, Best Buy, and Circuit City... and are trying to have a "friendly negotiation".
You will note that the new machines sold by Wal-Mart and Sams Club all have a two year warranty... that, we believe, is part of our efforts.
Some boards were the fault of Intel in that big batch of failed capacitors. Others were an Intel design, but made in Korea by Tri-gem, the parent company (then) of eMachines. Now eMachines has been sold to Gateway... but their tech support is still separate, and they still lie to the people who call in... telling them they must buy a new part or a new power supply.
There was some reason to believe it was a power supply problem as certain models of machines made between 2000 and 2002 were definitely power supply problems... but they didn't destroy the motherboards. But most of these, the motherboard fails and the power supply is still good. On others, the motherboard failure causes the power supply to fail.
On some the main board chip pulls out of the board. On others, it is a defective board from a faulty "print" or etch.
On many of the bad ones, you can see the spots on the board where there is burned material. On others you can lift the big chip out with your fingers.
All companies make some bad boards. The problem here is after they knew they were bad, they kept on selling them, and did not notify the user or owner. They said, so what. we honored our warranty. Our position is that they had a greater responsibility once they knew the boards were bad.
We are asking users to send their model number and serial number to srvcs@netzero.com. We do not want to know the users name yet... but we do want their purchase date, email address, and whether they still have the computer, and the receipt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back