PC start up problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there, I have a problem. I inheirited a computer from my father a couple of months ago. A P4 3gig, 1gig ram, 160 gb hard drive with a dvd burner and dvd rom drive. He had the computer for a year, no problems with a radeon 9800 all in wonder pro video card installed. One day it just wouldn't turn on. He changed the power supply (which has more than enough wattage) and still it would not turn on. So he believed perhaps it was the video card. He took it back and exchanged it for another radeon 9800 all in wonder pro video card, and that didn't help. In fact he put the video card in another computer (AMD 2.5 gig) and it worked flawlessly. The computer would not turn on 100% of the time, until he put some crap 2 bit cheap video card in and it finally would turn on.

Now, I needed a computer with some more horse power, so he gave me the computer to try out. I currently have the same Video card he had prior(radeon 9800 all in wonder pro, as it was in my old computer). I took out the cheap video card and installed my radeon 9800 all in wonder pro. Boom, the computer booted up flawlessly. All seemed well for a couple days, but when I came one day to boot the computer the LED light in the front of the computer flashed for 0.5 of a second. I turned off the switch to the power supply in the back for 10 sec, switched it back on and the computer would boot up again. Now the computer seems to boot up 70% of the time, but 30% of the time im stuck switching off the switch of the power supply, waiting 10 sec, switching it on, then hoping it will boot up as sometimes it takes a few tries of repeating the process to get the computer to boot. I'm stumped, New power supply and the exact same video card my dad had installed and the computer works 70% of the time for me and 0% for him. What gives? I'm starting to lean towards the mother board being faulty.

I tried taking out the cmos battery, and that didn't help. I also noticed that the fans slightly move when this happens, as I've watched with the cover off. So perhaps a short is present? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Sorry for the novel of a post Thx in advance

you may be correct in guessing the motherboard. you've eliminated the video card (sort of) as the problem, and also the power supply. You could take out the ram and see if you get error beeps consistent with no ram, not sure if that would help much, would probably have to test the ram in another computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back