PC switches itself off !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnorth

Hi all,

I have started to have a problem as indicated above, started today. I will be playing merrily away and the pc will just turn off as if the power has been cut. It seems to happen only when I am playing games, noted in FEAR, Sniper Elite and Quake 4 so far. I cant make it happen when using Win xp normally.
Before I go and start purchasing new psu and a bag load of new ram mods, can anyone suggest anything that I can try to pinpoint the prob ??

I have monitored the temps across the pc, they dont appear to be getting very high, (middle of a FEAR fire fight cpu at 41)

I have checked my drivers etc, they all appear to be up to date (attached Dxdiag if thats of any help).

System : Athlon 3500XP, radeon x850xp, 1024 mb ram, Win xp, Audigy 2 plat pro SC.

Any help would be most appreciated.
Cheers
Rag

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    59.3 KB · Views: 10
How do you get 41C, during your game, do you have a case display? If so, I think that's just displaying the internal case temperature not your CPU.(depends on the case and mobo though). It is standard prob/symptom of overheated CPU, the system just shuts down!. Did you try removing side panel and blowing a fan on it?

Hi,
Got a Guru panel on the front of the pc, shows cpu, room, system, and pwm temp readings, so i can see what temp is at any time. In the case i have 5 fans. The psu has 2 and the cpu has 1, so in total 8, my legs go numb if i sit next to it to long !!!!!
Had discounted temp due to the reading didnt seem very high.
Cheers
Rag

from that file you have software/hardware drivers not installed properly looks like direct X stuff or video drivers
try reinstall of video drivers and or any video programs that you just installed

Could be a power problem. Whats the wattage on your power supply? Is it enough for all those fans and the temp attachment?

Will uninstall and re-load the graphics drivers. Where in the dxdiag does it show conflicts / errors ??

PSU is a EYE-T ATX model PIV-650-2
550w matt total output. On the rails is has listed :
+3.3v = 30A
+5v = 32A
+12v = 35A
-5v = 0.3A
-12v = 0.8A
+5svb = 2.0A

I was hoping that this would be enough or would uprating to a 650w be an option ??
Cheers

that PSU if working correctly should be enough
here is the line from your attachment
DirectX Files Tab: Several files (kstvtune.ax, ksxbar.ax, kswdmcap.ax, etc.) are incorrectly installed in the Windows folder and should be deleted.
quick google and this is for maybe ATI type of tuner video card???

Many thanks for your reply..
I have deleted the relevant files and now the dxdiag is showing clear.
Uninstalled and cleaned all graphics drivers from system and reloaded them all and updated to current driver for Radeon card.

System still switching itself off !

Could the sound card cause the failure, its the only thing i havent looked at yet !
Is there anything else i could try before spending monies ??

Cheers
Rag

Happened to me today. Open command prompt and type:

"SFC /SCANONCE"
hit y and enter.
reboot.

Now its going to ask for your windows cd after it runs the scan. So put it in and let it install/modify whatever it would be called. Should fix it, it scans your .dlls and such and replaced corrupt/incorrect ones.

Have tried the 'scanonce' thing, all seemed ok, but after a few mins the pc shut down again.
I have noticed that it only seems to happen in graphic intensive / action games, i cant make it happen during Dragonshard, FM06, AoE, Fallout for example.

I am now wondering if it is the ram on my pc that cant handle what is being asked. Sorry, as a noob question if a ram chip cant cope would it cause the pc to switch off? i could understand if it was faulty but they seem ok for other games / operations ???

Why can i see a expensive shopping trip looming on the horizon !

Many thanks for all your help.
Rag
PS - Any thing else i could try before i buy ???

Video card ?

Could be video card problem if this only occurs in intensive video. Do video memory chips get very hot?

Only possible test would be beg borrow or buy a low-spec video card and give that a work-out.

Yea that is exactly what was happening to me. Except i was playing Warcraft 3 The Frozen Throne and Neverwinter Nights. Have you checked for updated video drivers?

maybe the video power line is loose,does your card use extra power line??
I would say your zoomin in on the problem
the vid card check if fan is running also
I gotta tell ya I up'ed my drivers and my monitor went black,xp did not like the newer drivers went back to older set and all has been smooth

OK so your computer was completely shutting off... that happened to me like a year ago when i was hardcore into play CounterStrike.....im trying to think of what i did to fix it and i think i just reformatted. I've also had my computer shut off due to the video fan not working. If it's not working they're only like $3 so it wont be a expensive shopping trip.

:D :D :D

Sorted !!!

Many thanks for all your help.
Samstoned - Didn't think that a cable / connection may have been at fault. Took all power connections off and then re-connected making sure all were well connected. This has solved the problem. Played FEAR last night for almost 4 hours and not one problem, no switching off, crashing or nowt.
Many thanks, you have saved me from a shopping spree that wouldnt have solved the problem.

Again, many thanks all
Cheers, a happy
Rag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back