PC Upgrade help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody

Im new to this site and PC modifying. But Im trying to build up my PC and learn a thing or two along the way and i was hoping somone could help me out with a couple things.
I need some advice on what kind ov GPU, sound card and Ram I should get.

Right now I have a MSI K7N2 Delta Series MS_ 6570 ATX Mainboard and a AMD Athalon XP 3000+ running on it. But since todays Games have become so high quality my graphic card cant take it any more and im stuck with 256 mb of ram and a bad sound card.
Im lookin for a graphic card with abou 128 - 256 mb that should be around 200 Canadian Dollars. I also am lookin for about 512 - 1024 mb of ram that wil be compatible with my mobo and cpu. Due to the fact that im straped for cash at the moment i can only invest about 300-400 bucks canadian.

I hope someone can help me. Thanx

the best you can do for an athlon xp these days is an nforce2 board. my friend has been using a gigabyte k7n-400pro for a few years and is still satisfied with the product, i reccomend that board. it suports the fastest athlon xp chips and dual channel ddr (up to 400). an agp 8x port, usb2.0, and decent sound, and not to mention the overclocking options. i think it'd suit you well, and the price has fallen considerably. if you can manage an nvidia 6600gt based video card you will have yourself a big improvement. ddr400 runs $50 (USD) for a 512mb stick these days, you should have no problems there.

1gb of ram really helps with games, an nvidia 6 series would make your games look sweet as hell and a creative soundblaster audigy 2 would make you feel like your in the game.

Is that MSI k7n2 delta mobo the delta2???

I am using a msi k7n2 Delta2 Platnium and what I have found for needs in the ram area is either the pc3200 Crucial like Didou said or if you would like to save a little cash you could go with the Kingston value ram with the following number: KVR400X64C3AK2/1G It is a pair of matched 512 mg chips made to run in dual channel in the nforce2 mobo's. I think the very least ram you should use is 1G. Any more, most of the games require a 512mb at the bottom and suggest 1G or above.
As for the video card, you can get a GeForce 6, 6600GT Agp for around the 150 mark or so. Check out http://www.zipzoomfly.com
The Kingston value ram is about the 90 buck range or so.
As far as a sound card, the delta board that you have has onboard sound! They seem to be a fair on board sound card. With just ram and a video card, you could get out of it for less than 300.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back