PC Upgrade - How much would YOU sell your old components for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy Commando

I'm upgrading very soon like next week and I have a potential buyer who has a system of half my current spec as shown in sig.

The question is, if you were selling all the following as an upgrade bundle, how much would you expect for it, considering it cost around £450 originally am I right in asking £200-£250 for it?

Athlon 900 with heatsink & fan
Asus A7V Motherboard with latest 2002 bios update
2 x 256 Crucial PC133 SDRAM with Lifetime warranty
Asus Geforce 2 GTS

If they refuse the price, am i right in saying they are losing out on a bargain price?

you don't mention if you are giving them a monitor or not.

assuming no, I would probably start the haggling at around £400 with the knowledge that you will probably lower to around £300 or so.

all of that stuff is tech that's around 18 months old but its still good stuff....

IMHO £200 is a little too low and £300 is more like it.

I take it your talking about just the components and not a complete PC.
I would say £250-£300 sounds like a good price.

Asus Geforce 2 GTS = £100 or so
Asus A7V Motherboard with latest 2002 bios update = £30
2 x 256 Crucial PC133 SDRAM with Lifetime warranty = £70
Athlon 900 with heatsink & fan = £40

going by current prices of similar items (Athlon 1.33 can be had for about £60-70 www.scan.co.uk )

Originally posted by Phantasm66
you don't mention if you are giving them a monitor or not.

Whatever I didn't mention, i'm not selling, its as simple as that.

Originally posted by Arris

Asus Geforce 2 GTS = £100 or so
Asus A7V Motherboard with latest 2002 bios update = £30
2 x 256 Crucial PC133 SDRAM with Lifetime warranty = £70
Athlon 900 with heatsink & fan = £40

Ok, that would add up to £240, so considering its second hand in very good condition and things like the RAM still have an unlimited warranty from Crucial that i'm passing on. My original estimate of £200 - £250 would sound about rite if I have labour included i.e. I upgrade his PC for him.

I've spoken to this buyer and he may pay the full £250 for all of the above as he is coming from an old system that includes:

AOpen Pentium 3 mobo
Pentium 3 500Mhz
128 PC100 SDRAM
ATI Rage Fury 32mb

As you can see, it would be major upgrade for him, as he is at least 2 generations out of date with video card.

i think £300 is about what I would be looking for. Therefore start the negociations at £400 and let me whittle you down, so that he thinks he is getting a bargain.

Note that prebuilt baseunit systems can be had for about £450 (Celeron 1.3Ghz from www.pcworld.co.uk) but they will have onboard graphics which a GF2 GTS would blow away so your price is probably about right at the £300 mark. Just incase he says "But I can get X from Y-Shop for that price".

It looks likely that I will get £250 for all of the above considering 18 months ago the lot was bought for £450 when i upgraded then.

Talk about upgrading.....

I'm building a new PC now with following specs:

AOpen H600A "SuperTower" case ~£70
Abit KX7-333 ~£80
AthlonXP 1800+ ~£83
512mb DDR PC2100 (Generic) ~£60
"Undecided Brand" GF4 TI4200 (64MB version) ~£142

All of the above cost approx. £450 again including any necessary extras such as heatsinks and case fans etc.

In my opinion, getting £250 back from old components that I can put back into a new upgrade is GOOD compared to NOT usually having a buyer from an upgrade and then being left keeping the old components as spares.

GF4 TI4200 (64Mb version) Which brand would your recommend?
Dabs.com:
PNY £143.35
Leadtek £146.87
Abit £141.00
InnoVISION (Inno3d) £135.12

Watford.co.uk:
Gainward £139.82
Creative £146.88

Leadtek or gainward would be my choice from the list you posted. These often tend to have faster memory or greater overclockability than other brands. I know a lot of users who say they have had no problems with the "budget" brands of PNY and InnoVision but I still stick by my choice of Leadtek or gainward especially since there is little difference in price.
Read more details about the software pack for the Leadtek Winfast 250LE (Ti4200) at http://www.leadtek.co.uk/
Hardware monitor software can be quite useful.
Information about the gainward cards can be found at http://www.gainward.com/us/products/vgacard.htm

The Leadtek supports DVI output to 1280 whereas the Gainward supports DVI to 1600. Little things like that can make a difference depending on exactly what you are looking for from the card. The Gainward offerings have a TV out and No TV out version so its best to check your getting a TV on the one your looking at if your need it...

Originally posted by Arris
Leadtek or gainward would be my choice from the list you posted. These often tend to have faster memory or greater overclockability than other brands.

The Leadtek one has the biggest heatsink that also encompasses the RAM as well. It looks very overclockable as seen below...

a250le_big.jpg

I choose Leadtek mainly due to size of its heatsink as well as hardware monitoring features (that i'm used to that my current GF2 has).

Now heres some news....

Forget the Leadtek above....hows about this XFX TI4200 (from Pine):

http://www.xfxgraphics.com/product_view.php?sku=PVT25AMA

It only costs ~£100 + VAT from http://www.cclcomputers.co.uk, then look down the 'prices' list and the price to pay is on the last column "inc.Vat"

...and here's a review giving the card 100% "editor's choice" with huge overclocking ability. Even better, here's a video review of the XFX TI4200 64mb card showing the benchmark scores with an XP2000+ processor!!

Thats the cheapest i've seen anywhere in the UK at the moment, I think the good review and price makes my choice certain with this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back