Pc upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

LinkedKube

I'm reading about the cosair xms dominator ddr2. I'm going to upgrade my ram and my psu. My board natively supports ddr2 800. Would it natively run the xms ram at 1000 or would I have to go into bios and change it myself. Also I'm lookin for a fanless psu if I can find a good one. Any suggestions. Just lookin for a really quiet syste, Also going to purchase the new phaxe cooler from CoolIt.

You would have to change it yourself. Also, the RAM might not run at 1000MHz without increasing the system bus. So if you don't want to overclock the CPU, you might have to play with the multiplier.

MetalX said:
You would have to change it yourself. Also, the RAM might not run at 1000MHz without increasing the system bus. So if you don't want to overclock the CPU, you might have to play with the multiplier.

I thought the muliplier was locked, or are you not speaking of the cpu multiplier, sorry I'm still a noob

I am speaking of the CPU multiplier and I believe it is only locked up. It can be lowered, but not raised. So in order to get the RAM to run at 1000 MHz, you can put it on 800MHz (the highest the mobo probably allows) and then raise the system bus to 1332.5MHz (Effective) or 333.125MHz, and the RAM will run at exactly 1000MHz.

But doing so will cause the CPU to run at 2331.875MHz, so you would have to reduce the multiplier to x5 for 1665.625 MHz or x6 for 1998.75MHz. Of course 5.5x would be perfect if it was available as that would lead to 1832.1875MHz, very close to stock. Alternately you could leave it at x7 at 2331.875MHz, as it will probably run fine at that speed on stock voltage because Core 2's are incredible overclockers.

(Sorry for all the decimal places, I just wanted to be accurate :))

Hmm... I thought the CPU is locked down as well? o.O

I think I read somewhere that there is a small range of multipliers that each Core2Duo may be set at, for example the E6300 is 7-8, the E6400 is 8-9, etc.

I'm probably wrong tho.

lol you shot yourself down before you even knew for sure. I dont have the option to change multiplier in my bios

supersmashbrada said:
lol you shot yourself down before you even knew for sure. I dont have the option to change multiplier in my bios
Pfft. I figured they were unlocked down because they can go pretty low when Speedstep is enabled. Oh well. Like I said. Just leave it at the standard multi and it should be fine at 2331.875MHz.

omg ill have to study what you just told me, lol. Thx a lot for the insite. I guess it makes sense though

I read it twice and it makes plenty of sense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back