PC will not boot beyond the XP loadup screen...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone.
I need a little help if anyone has the time please, I have a 2.8 P4 512ddr400 ram and a GeForce 6600GT g/c I recently bought a new monitor because my old one broke, and when I now go to boot up my pc it loads through until the little XP pro flag etc. then blue screens me - PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA but only for an instant, I cant get it to hang around. I also cant boot in safe mode. I have tried replacing the ram and no change, the pc worked perfectly last week until my monitor broke, is there a chance that the two events could have been related? perhaps some damage to my mobo? is there a diagnostic program that i can use to check?
Thanks for your time. Zap.

Sorry I just re read your post, the old monitor broke and you got a new one, things were ok for a while and now windows don't load, is this the case?

As much as it sounds like software problem, it could be bad hardware as well.
At the point it crashes, it is loading drivers and all.

Is your 6600 plugged in to the power supply?

Is this a brand name system?

Take a long shot and try a PCI video card after removing your 6600.

Let us know

Will it boot if you put the Win XP disk in the CD/DVD drive? You have to enter BIOS and set the boot priority to CD 1st, then HDD 2nd.
It sounds like you a bad boot sector. If you can get it to boot to safe mode using the XP cd, open the command prompt and Type FIXBOOT.

kirock said:
Will it boot if you put the Win XP disk in the CD/DVD drive? You have to enter BIOS and set the boot priority to CD 1st, then HDD 2nd.
It sounds like you a bad boot sector. If you can get it to boot to safe mode using the XP cd, open the command prompt and Type FIXBOOT.

How exactly does one boot to safe mode using the XP CD?
BTW, the system already boots but does not load the operating system.

How exactly does one boot to safe mode using the XP CD?
Sorry my bad was thinking of another problem when I typed that. I meant Recovery Console. When the Install window opens type R. Then 1. Admin password is by default blank so just press enter. Now Type "Fixboot"

I'm thinking that the boot sector is bad/corrupted if XP won't start because I've read this before.
If XP won't start it may be due to a damaged boot sector or a missing or corrupt ntldr or ntdetect.com files.
To replace damaged ntldr and ntdetect.com you can copy fresh files from the XP CD using the COPY command. Boot with the XP CD and enter the Recovery Console (as above). At the Command Prompt type the following (where "X" is your CD-Rom drive letter) allowing the files to overwrite the old files
COPY X:\i386\NTLDR C:
COPY X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:

kirock said:
Sorry my bad was thinking of another problem when I typed that. I meant Recovery Console. When the Install window opens type R. Then 1. Admin password is by default blank so just press enter. Now Type "Fixboot"

I'm thinking that the boot sector is bad/corrupted if XP won't start because I've read this before.

To replace damaged ntldr and ntdetect.com you can copy fresh files from the XP CD using the COPY command. Boot with the XP CD and enter the Recovery Console (as above). At the Command Prompt type the following (where "X" is your CD-Rom drive letter) allowing the files to overwrite the old files
COPY X:\i386\NTLDR C:
COPY X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:

Agreed :approve:

Cheers folks! still at work so will try the recovery console when i get home... Really appreciate the advice.
P.S. Built the system from scratch so no tech support, and possibly no warranty due to a little overclocking in the past... oops :angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back