PC will not boot....

Status
Not open for further replies.
HELP!! PC will not boot....

I'm having a little issue here.....

When i press the power button on the PC the case lights go on and the fans spins for a sec then nothing.... there is a green light on mobo when the psu is turned on from the back. no recent hardware changes were made, except usb devices. i would notice that sometimes the PC would just randomly turn off.... didn't think much of it as i just switched the PSU switch off and back on and then it booted up fine and all. but now there's nothing.. i don't have any other Mobo's, processors, to test them with... i bought a new PSU thinkin that that would be the problem item...but with the new PSU same thing.... Anyhow i really dont' want to have to buy a new mobo and/or processor so any idea here would be greatly appreciated....

Thnx

you got me... i had the same problem on an old machine. replaced the PSU and it was fixed.. could be your connections from your PSU to the motherboard or just the plug on the motherboard. maybe get a technician to look at it.

:knock:

Hmmm...i wasn't really into takin the PC to a repair shop beacuse of the cost..... I was wonderin if there was a way to tell if the mobo or processor is fried beyond repair.... Anyone else have any ideas??

Sounds like the only thing you can do is some serious troubleshooting.

I would strip down to the bare essentials: CPU, ram, HDD, video card and try booting up.

If you have more than one stick of ram, take the other(s) out so you only have one.

Let us know if you can boot your computer with this config.

I have a similiar problem as you did, but clearing the CMOS did not work. I inherited this problem when my father in law died of a sudden massive heart attack this weekend. He built this computer himself and showed me enough to help me build my own computer.

Any way, I come down to turn on his computer to pull some pictures and it doesnt turn on. I open up the case and see that the green mobo (abit ic7-G) light is on showing there is power supply connected, but when I push the power button on, the red light (showing system power is on) blinks on for a fraction of a second, the fans spin about one revolution, then nothing. I switched out power supplys to a more powerful 480watt antec from a 430 watt antec, but still same results.

What should I try next? Your help is appreciated because this is the main computer for the house. I would like to help my mother in-law out by getting this back and running.

other specs
corsair 512mb xms3200 ddr 4 sticks
not sure the processor - wanted to avoid removing and reseating that if possible.
x800 video card

Did that just happen all of the sudden one day? So it was working just fine the previous?
If you swapped power supplies and reset the BIOS, I would suspect the motherboard or an add-in card.

Strip it down like DonNagual said, see what happens. Also look over the motherboard and see if there are any blown capacitors. Those are the little barrels sticking up out of the board. If any of them are bulging or leaking, you have motherboard problems.

yeah, it just happened. He would never allow his pc to just stop working, so it is very weird that it stopped on the same day of his death. I know he didnt just add any cards or memory, so I am thinking it may of shorted out the mobo. I will look at the mobo for leaking or bulging like you said, then I will try a total strip down and see if that works. I will let you know of the progress. thanks for your help.- any other suggestions are appreciated:)

ok, I stripped it down to what was suggested: harddrive, cpu, ram, ps. still did same thing as i stated before. I am thinking it must be the motherboard or cpu. Can I take the master harddrive off of this messed up computer, make it a slave and connect it to a working computer to get files off of the broken one? I think that is what i will do if it is possible, then try to buy a new motherboard, and if need be a new cpu. thanks for your help

Similar Issue...

I was more or less happily running a P4 3.20 Ghz processor on a DFI motherboard with 3/4 G of Ram when the motherboard decided to "toss a rod." :(

O.k... Bought a new motherboard, dropped the processor into it, hooked up just one stick of ram to be safe while reconstructing the computer, popped in my AGP GeForce 5500 video card and booted. Booted up fine, but the board turned out to be non ACPI compliant. :mad:

O.k... so I bought my current board, an Intel D875PBZ (figuring that an Intel motherboard would have to be compliant if it was "designed for" XP Pro), dropped in the processor, put in the one stick of ram and video card, and started up. Result: green light on the motherboard comes on, fan spins for a revolution or two, and then stops. No bootup, no nothing. :knock:

I know the processor and my 430 watt PSU were working because the last board booted up fine, but I find it hard to believe that a board fresh from the box would be faulty if the power light is coming on. The processor LOOKS fine--no burned spots, chips, or cracks and I tried to keep it away from all static sources, etc... What's the most likely issue?

Could it be as easy as the fellow above? Is not resetting the CMOS at install something that commonly causes this problem?

Thanks!

Any help is appreciated because I'm feeling kind of ill after four days of endless computer issues... puke:

You positive you have the front panel connections on correctly? If something is wrong and pins get shorted, that can happen.

Your current mobo supports this:

Support for an Intel® Pentium® 4 Extreme Edition processor in an mPGA478 socket with a 800 MHz system bus
Support for an Intel® Pentium® 4 processor in an mPGA478 socket with a 533/800 MHz system bus
-------------

What exactly is your CPU? Is it Prescott or what? Make sure your motherboard can handle it.

Try this: Switch off the computer's main power from the back. Unplug the power cable. Open up the case and unplug the mobo's power cable to the PSU. Carefully take out the CMOS battery and make sure you leave the battery on some that can protect it from damage. Wait for about 30min, put the battery back in and power it on.

Let me know if this helps.

No Boot up...

I have a new ABIT NF7-S ver2 and a new AMD 2500 Barton core unlocked. I am having the problem when you power up it will come on for a sec. then shut off. I took every thing off but my video card it's a readon 256 meg 9800 pro I also took ram out but 1 stick and still nothing. can anyone help me out?

Skip, you didn't mention it so I'll ask. Is the 2x2 square white connector on the motherboard connected to the power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back