Pc wont boot, serious problems, think its to do with the graphic card!!! READ THIS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi im new on the forum, but im an intermediate/low expert at computing as ive just built 2 pcs and the latest one is the problem.

Anyway the Pc was fine, It was built pefectly with a socket 478 Asrock Motherboard, a P4 3.ghz HT cpu, 1024 MB of fast DDR2 PC3200, a 400w PSU, Also microsoft XP pro was loaded as the operating system. The system and the computer as a whole was working very well for a few days, UNTILL i got a geforce 6800 to boost the graphics, this is were it all got messy!!! I installed the card perfectly, sitting right, extra cooling also and assembled my case as before and was ready to go, but then the computer just wouldnt boot at all and would hang in windows and then the monitor would turn off and the system would still appear to be running with no output at all. Needless to say im baffled at this stage as to why on earth this card wont install on this computer. I unpluged the card in and out making sure it was all perfect for days on end and it was clear that the system would all boot up perfect without the card plugged in but would not do so as soon as the card went in!!! I was now officially stressed out over the whole thing and sent the computer to a PC diagnostics expert, and now 2 weeks later the stupid guy has sent it back with no clue in the world as to the problem and he reebooted everything formatted the HDD and put the whole computer back to factory settings and uninstalled the OS, and now he claims the keys for the XP pro are wrong and he cant reeboot the XP, wethear this is true or not god only knows, i just was under the impression he wasnt as much of an expert as he believes he is!!

Anyway to cut a long story short i would be greatfull of any help or any suggestions to do with my problems. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!! im about to start tearing my hair out

ive tried 2 power supplies 350 and 400 watts, and the card is the only solution i can currently think of to be honest, but i would have thought the computer diagnostics fella would have told me that, so thats why i posted here, im thinking maby its something a little less obvious and i was hoping someone had perhaps had or seen something similar to this

Well if the maxium wattage PSU you tried is 400 watts, i wouldnt rule it out just yet. Cheap PSU makers, can easily screw around with the numbers for wattage, and they rarely run at the marketed numbers. I would try a good solid 450 PSU before i get rid of the card (unless its under warranty then RMA it if ya want)

ok thanks mate, im starting to believe that the card is maby a dodgy one, ive read a bit about A400TDH geforce 6800's cards being a little suspicious and thats the one i have, dont know if you guys have heared the same. But ill be sure to look into getting something in the range of 500w PSU of good quality and then ill check it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back