Pc wont start

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem began after i had emptyed the motherboard and inserted the excact same pieces back into it. What happens when i turn the pc on now is this: Fans running and nothing else, screen is black and the motherboard doesnt make a shound. Have i broken my motherboard ? :(
i did not touch the cpu or harddrives, i simply took some pieces out and then back in again (Not pieces of the motherboard,not even me is that dumb)

Hopefully you turned of the power at the psu. Check to see if you have reseated the cards properly. You could even get a can of air to blow out the slots. Also check that you have not dislodged any of the cables.

IronDuke said:
Hopefully you turned of the power at the psu. Check to see if you have reseated the cards properly. You could even get a can of air to blow out the slots. Also check that you have not dislodged any of the cables.
I have, the cards sir firmly at their positions too. I tryed changing motherboard but i still get the same problem. The harddrives doesnt make a sound, only the fans running. Evrything seems right, it just wont start :(

Firebat

How many cards do you have plugged into the motherboard i.e. pci cards/ AGP? One of them may be fried. I suggest that you try removing them one at a time and try to boot in between each removal. And also are you wearing an ESD wrist strap when you are working on your PC. If not, you should think about getting one.

Did you use the same memory when you swapped the mobo?
If so it might be worth running memtest86+. There is a version that can be burnt to CD if you don't have a floppy drive.

Have you checked that the discs are correctly identified in the bios. Also is the boot order set right?

Why did you remove everything, and put it back together, were you having problems? What first comes to my mind, is your motherboard may be shorting out on standoffs, loosened a component, memory issue, power supply issue, or video card problem.

just_a_nobody said:
Why did you remove everything, and put it back together, were you having problems? What first comes to my mind, is your motherboard may be shorting out on standoffs, loosened a component, memory issue, power supply issue, or video card problem.
I romoved it to change motherboard but found some strange screws so i gave up and put it back in. WHat does shorting out on standoffs mean ?
The power supply is the same one i have allways been using
and i have tried 2 diffrent video cards, i have checked for loosened components too.
I will try changing power supply tomorow though.
I know im a ******* when it comes to computing, thanks for all help :p

Standoff are the little metal pegs, on the case, below the MOBO, they're what the MOBO is screwed on to, unless you have plastic inserts. Sometimes, these standoffs can be loose, and exertion on the board moves them just enough to short out, on the bottom of the MOBO. It is worth checking.

It would be a pretty crap mobo that suffered this. I would be looking for errant screws under the board which would be more than capable of causing a short.

By any chance did you forget to shut off or unplug the power supply before disconnecting cables or components. If so, something could be damaged, including the motherboard.

Same problem

Hello Everyone,

This has to be short as I'm posting from work

I have had similar problems, and I'm a bit stumped..

Have built my own PC 18 months ago. All fine until last couple of days. Got a message whilst booting up "windows unstable do you want to start in safe mode" at that point PC died, all attempts to restart fail. only get black screen, not even POST. CPU fan still works, and I tested HDD in another computer and it seems to be OK. Graphics card seems to work, where do I go from here? I have given the computer a good dusting! (with wrist strap on).

Any ideas where to go from here

Brief details are

Maxtor 120 GB HDD
Athlon 2.13 chip
Abit KV7 MB
Crucial 512Mb RAM
Winfast 64 (or 128 not sure) fx5200? Graphics card

Many Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back