Pc wont start :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here the problem, i switched me pc of with a normal shut down next day went to turn it on and nothing.

1st thing i done was try a different power cable and no joy, so i took the case of and unpluged each component 1 by 1 and retryed but still no joy.

So i thought it must be the power supply, went down the shop today brought a spanking new power supply, pluged it all in and still nothing, the power supply fan doesnt even move. So i done the same as before disconnected each part , cd drives,floppy hd etc untill all i had left connected was the motherboard 20 pin and 4 pin. Still not working , the cpu fan twitches when i turn the power supply switch on at the back, but no lights cant open the drives nothing.

Theres no burning smells or anything , so its leading me to believe its the power switch, unless anyone else has any suggestions.

if the mobo, processor or any of the drives had gone wouldnt the power supply fan still switch on or not? Ive also reseated memory but nothing seems to fix it.

Is a emachines system 2.3, 512 mem, probaly a few years old now aswell.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

hello by the way :)

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

You`ve obviously done all the right things.

I`d say it`s the mobo thats dead.

My machine did exactly the same about 6 weeks ago. I did all the same stuff, incuding trying a different psu. It was the mobo.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Before U blame the Board, try another PSU.

Don't forget they have different voltage rails, and it only takes one to fail and it won't boot.

In some cases, the CPU fan may even spin ok, but one of the rails is blown, so the CPU/RAM or whatever is getting no juice

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Mr Papschmere said:
Before U blame the Board, try another PSU.

Don't forget they have different voltage rails, and it only takes one to fail and it won't boot.

In some cases, the CPU fan may even spin ok, but one of the rails is blown, so the CPU/RAM or whatever is getting no juice

connected has already tried a new psu.

connected said:
So i thought it must be the power supply, went down the shop today brought a spanking new power supply, pluged it all in and still nothing, the power supply fan doesnt even move.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

i had another look at the board all the capacitors seem fine. Think its gotta be the board then, think im ganna have to take it into a shop knowing my luck ill get a new board and ita be the button.

Thx for your help

Easy to check if it's the switch, just momentarily short the 2 pins on the board where the ON/OFF switch connects to and see if it fires up.

just use a flat screwdriver, knife, anything that'll pass current.

All U need to do is short it breifly, and you'll see if it will go or not.

The on/off switch is momentary contact, not actually on or off, so just make sure they contact each other for a second, otherwise you'll be turning it off again straight away!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back