PC won't Start!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
It's only been several months since I've started dabbling on Hardwares, so I'm pretty new to this.

My pc started having errors last week with frequent restarts, then my hard disk crashed a couple of days after that. The disk was heavily damaged so I opted to buy a new one. But now my pc won't even start. There's power in my cpu, but my monitor won't fire up. u_u

Can anyone tell what could be wrong with it? thanks.

My PC Specs:
Pentium 4 2.8Ghrz (2 cpus) - 4 yrs old
GeForce FX 5600 256mb - 1.5 yrs old
MSI motherboard - had trouble finding a 486 compatible so I ended up with this - less than a year old
160Gig Seagate Barracuda SATA drive - new
512mb ram - 4 yrs old

well since it's a problem with the monitor turning on, it could be 1 of a couple things in my mind.

first i'd check all the cables and make sure they're nice and secure. i'm assuming you might've disconnected everything to open the box and install the new hard drive. perhaps your monitor cables aren't quite connected that little bit.

second, if that isn't the case, i'd look to your power supply. with specs like that, you need to have a decent power supply to run everything. a dual core, decent video card, huge hard drive....something tells me that perhaps your video card isn't getting any power because your supply is insufficient. easily solved by a new power supply. antec makes some very good power supplies. you may want to look into the Antec earthwatts 500watt power supply.

if that fails, i'd try taking the hard drive and attaching it to a working computer, and downloading the latest video drivers for your card.

and if all that fails, i'd say that perhaps you inadvertently fried a major component somehow, most likely while installing the hard drive seeing as everything is relatively new. if you fried the motherboard, the way to test that is to detach everything and leave the motherboard in with power supplied to it. then turn it on and if you don't get the bios screen at least, then its probably the mobo that's fried.

i think that your problem is nothing serious. i highly doubt the latter cases i mentioned. just double check the connections and power supply and i think that might solve everything.

My current power supply is only a 300watts one, I'll try your suggestions get a more suitable one. Hope this'll solve the problem. :)

Btw, thanks for the quick response.

i believe in expedience ;)

i'm more than happy to help.

i hope this fixes your problem.

It's me again. :(
Thanks to the new power supply, my PC started working again.. for couple of days. I'm having the same problems over again. There's power in my cpu and monitor (led lights up) but my monitor won't fire up again.

Is it my motherboard? Damaged for using a 300watts power supply for almost a year?

My PC Specs:
Pentium 4 2.8Ghrz (2 cpus) - 4 yrs old
GeForce FX 5600 256mb - 1.5 yrs old
MSI motherboard - had trouble finding a 486 compatible so I ended up with this - less than a year old
160Gig Seagate Barracuda SATA drive - new
512mb ram - 4 yrs old

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back