PC Won't Turn On, Keeps Restarting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, im just wondering if anyone can help me, my computer kinda stuffed up when i was typing up an assignment on word. I don't really know what happened, but it closed down word a few times automatically and then came up with "microsoft word recovered your work" on the side.. because it was unsaved.. after that it froze.. so i pressed "ctrl", "alt", "del" and logged out, then i turned the computer off.

Now, when i turn it on, it comes up with the black screen that says, Windows did not start successfully.... Then it gives the options of starting the computer on "safe mode", "safe mode with networking", "safe mode with command promt", "last known good configuration" and lastly "start windows normally".

I have tried each of these options, and whenever i click on any of them, about a second later, the computer will just restart... i don't know what to do. If anyone has any suggestions i would apreciate it!

Thanks

your copy of windows is corrupted, probably as a result of a hard drive error. This is also consistent with what happened when you were using word.
If you have the resources, take the drive out of the system, being very careful with it, and connect it as a slave to another machine. Extract the data first, then run tests on it. If the drive is dying, you may not get many chances to save your files.
If you are like most of PC users, we don't have proper backups. If yours are backed up, you could save time by getting a new drive and reinstalling windows from scratch.

Thanks for your reply, i know nothing about computers, i might get my uncle to look at it, he built it for me and i will show him what you suggested, thanks alot..

1. your windows installation is probably corrupted. If you use goback or another backup program you should be able to restore the disk.
2. do not rule out bad ram (test with memtest 86+ booted from a floppy or CD).

You can also try running a "chkdsk /r" from recovery console using a Microsoft windows xp disk (not the OEM one) to repair any bad sectors on the volume...its worth a try...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back