Pc4000 @ Pc3200

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all!

I have a Pentium 3.2GHz with an 800 FSB. My mobo also supports max 800 FSB. Therefor the fastest memory allowed is DDR400(PC3200). A friend of mine wants to sell me his 2 sticks of 1GB "High performance" memory. The problem is that it is PC4000(DDR500?). Could they really work in my system at PC3200 or will it slow down my CPU? He said he had the timings at 3-3-3-8 when he overclocked them to 550. Then they should work at 2-2-2-5-1T at 400. Or am I wrong?

They will work. They may need some extra voltage to do 2-2-2-5. All memory will go slower than it's rated.

What memory is it and what motherboard are you using?

It will most likely boot up fine with SPD settings. If you motherboard does not let you bump up Vdimm you may end up running them 2.5-4-4-8 or something. What RAM and motherboard do you have?

Well I´ve ordered a new ASUS board that should support voltage changing. Now I run 2x512 standard memory @2.5-3-3-8-2T. Sisoft Sandra shows that the memory is blocking the maximum use of the Bandwith. If I want better results I should upgrade to low latency sticks.

Some nice RAM there. I'm sure it will work with 2.5 volts, but maybe not at 2-2-2-5. SPD timings will be looser and should work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back