PCI Express 16x

Status
Not open for further replies.

BloodRaven

so there is suposed to be this all amazing pci express thats going to be way faster than normal pci and agp. its suposed to make all pci and agp spots obsolete like pci did to the old isa slots. is this really the future of computer motherboards? or will it just flop like the zip drive? what do you think....

The future is definently PCI Express because there is no alternative to be seen and the PCI bottleneck is very real. This doesn't mean the disappearance of ordinary PCI any time soon though. You can bet on finding PCI slots on motherboards for at least 5 years to come.

You have PCI-X and PCI-e.
Its not going to make a real impact this year but it will be coming. The initial Nvidia PCI-e cards will be using a bridge between a Native AGP solution and the PCI-e slot onboard the cards so no real speedup there. ATI on the otherhand will have a PCI-e native solution card out but I doubt PCI-e will be an immediate huge difference.

Personally I'm just going with a 754 A64 board now and changing system again in about a year when PCI-e, DDR2 and Athlon Socket 939 have come of age.

ok well that answers my question, thx. and im going with Arris with upgrading on the PCI-e, DDR2 and Socket 939. i cant wait

It will be nice to have new bus standard. We haven't had one in many, many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back