PCI or PCI-X graphic adapters

Status
Not open for further replies.

RADCOM

I am building a dual Xeon ( 3.06GHZ ) system around an HPxw6000 motherboard but performance will be held back by the onboard rage theatre graphics. The board has no AGP so I'd like to know if anyone has come across a PCIX graphics card. Failing that whats the best PCI graphics card around?
I have a secondary dilemma in that the processors I bought were for a rackmount chassis; they came with a passive 1"copper heatsink.
I have also bought standard Xeon aluminium heatsinks with fans. I was wondering if I should use the copper blocks with the fan if possible.
Thank you in advance for your ideas.

Are you sure about that motherboard having PCI-X? HP themselves don't seem to think so..

It was the first place I thought to look - HP would be happy to sell you some video cards.

PCI-X as in 64-bit version of 2.2 that increases the data rate to 133MHz (peak transfer 1066 MB/s) I don't mean PCI-e as in express that everyone is calling PCI-x. Confusing isn't it:) the only PCI-X card I could find was the matrox parhelia and they are quite rare. Seems I'll have to go for a PCI card; whats the fastest PCI card available?

"Your choices are more limited in the PCI cards, than AGP. You might look at the Radeon 9250 Video Card, PCI, 256MB DDR, or the GeForce FX 5200 Video Card, PCI, 256MB DDR. You can probably get these for $130 or less. Not really sure how well they'll run the games you listed though, maybe someone else will drop in." olefarte Iv'e never used either cards but they seem to be the best we can get for PCI at the time, I hope I helped Andrew

Thank you for the kind info about the differences between PCI-X and PCI-E even though I don't understand how i gave you the false impression. I checked the HP webpage for the xw6000 workstation and they say it only has PCI slots.

The only company that makes PCI-X vid cards nowadays is indeed Matrox AFAIK. I think you will get more 3D performance out of a nvidia/ati PCI card than a Matrox PCI-X card :p

Nvidia makes vid cards for Macs which use the PCI-X bus, but I don't think you could fit a Mac video card into a PC..

Beg your pudding Nodsu:) I bought it on ebay and when I later asked the seller he must have mistaken the lot number. This is what I actually bought.......Doh
DELL DUAL XEON MOTHERBOARD

Dual P4 Xeon processor supported
Up to 533 MHz front side bus
LSI Logic 53C1020 Single-Channel LVD Ultra320 SCSI controller
4 sockets for DDR DIMM support up to 4GB
Up to 2 Intel® Xeon processors 2.4GHz, 2.8GHz and 3.0GHz

6 expansion slots

2 x 64-bit/100MHz PCI-X (Supports 3.3v or Universal cards)
2 x 64-bit/66MHz PCI (Supports 3.3v or Universal cards)
2 x 32-bit/33MHz PCI (Supports legacy 5v or Universal cards)

Standard single embedded Intel Gigabit NIC
Dual Universal Serial Bus (USB) Ports
comes mounted on Dell backplate for direct fitment
does not include any accessories - just board and backplate
Thanks for all your help :grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back