PCI Slot fan under X800 good idea??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tranq

Hi...ive been posting here alot lately considering im having lots of problems...and now especially with my video card :(

at the moment i have a PCI slot fan two slots away from my Sapphire Radeon X800 pro pci-e...is this a good idea?? my gpu gets to around 55-60 degrees C while playing games...and idles at about 44 C...lately ive been having alot of FPS trouble and im not sure if it's overheating or the other possible problems (in my other posts) anyway ive heard that if the video card has a fan and heatsink on it a PCI slot fan isnt a good idea...it is quite close but definitely not right against the video card...there's about 1 1/2 inches in between the cooler and the video card...i can move the fan one slot down still...should i try that??

the PCI slot fan is UNDER the video card and it sucks the air OUTSIDE the case...so yea...it would seem that it should cool the card but i dont know...ive read otherwise

The temps don't sound all that bad for an X800 GPU. If you've got ample case fans....maybe one in the front and one plus PS fan in the back, it will normally be enough.

ok well then all i need is a new power supply and ill be good...and if that doesnt work ill RMA the card...

Tranq said:
ok well then all i need is a new power supply and ill be good...and if that doesnt work ill RMA the card...

Make sure you test the PS first.....don't just buy a new one on our word....unless of course you've got too much money..... ;)

lol actually im out of money...this is a very cheap ps...the first one blew...so i get an RMA for it...and this one hasnt blown but it is still a piece of junk...it weighs less than 2 pounds...seriously...and my video card ($425) performs worse than my old 9000 pro...so yea im quite ticked off right now

I have a x700 with a pci fan and i have noticed improved cooling. I would most defintly recomend doing it.

Sean

btw-those temps are actually not that hot for a x800

yea i know the temps arent bad...i think it just got damaged when my power supply blew up :) so yea...i need to get a new power supply and RMA the card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back