PCIe compatability question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I built my first computer about two years ago, I have unfortunately stopped paying alot of attention to the ins and outs of the industry. I am at the point I need to upgrade my video card, and am very interested in a 6800gt. The problem I have come across is not knowing if a new card runs PCIe instead of AGP, with my current mobo (GA-8INXP, +/- 2 years old) would I be able to use a PCIe card with the obviously older more common version of PCI. I have a guess as to the answer, just dont want to spend the $$ to get something I cant even use. Any insight to this problem is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
tree

your mobo supports AGP 8x. PCI-E wont work in PCI slots (or at least not that i know of :confused: . I wouldn't try it. I would just buy the AGP card for the 6800gt. :approve:

You'll have to stick with an AGP card unless you get a PCI-E compatible motherboard. PCI-E slot is different from AGP or regular PCI.

thank you for the quick responses! I suppose i will go with the agp until next year when i am ready to build a new puter. Thanks again, i really appreciate it!
tree

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back