PCMCIA Card not recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Linksys PCMCIA Wireless card. It used to work fine, but last time I tried to reboot, the wireless connection icon dissapeared. I tried to reinstall the device, but when I insert the card into the slot I don't get the audible notification that windows gives when a new device is found, and the card's activation led doesn't light up. the drivers are installed and all, and the card works fine, as I tried it in another laptop. What can be possibly happening? thank you in advance for your time:)

Windows lost the PCMCIA slot drivers maybe?

Try uninstalling your PCMCIA controllers in Device Manager and letting Windows redetect them after a restart.

Does it get roughed around alot? Mine went dead once because it was abused and the connection between the card and the laptop wasnt connecting. You have to be careful with those things... like when your on the couch with it and what not.

PCMCIA card won't (electrically) connect -- hardware problem?

GRunyon said:
Does it get roughed around alot? Mine went dead once because it was abused and the connection between the card and the laptop wasnt connecting. You have to be careful with those things... like when your on the couch with it and what not.

Er, what do you do if you haven't been careful and the connection is busted?!

I'm guessing that's what's wrong with mine: to get the PCMCIA card (wireless adaptor) to work I sometimes had to press down on a particular area of the keyboard, and it 'felt' very much like it was an electrical connection problem.

That worked for a couple weeks and the internet connection was fine, but now the card doesn't get power at all.

I opened up the laptop - done it before to clean fan, replace keyboard, etc - made sure all the screws were tight, didn't see anything that looked loose.

So I'm confused -- if it's a loose connection, you'd think that there'd be something that could be re-seated, and anyway I don't see how that socket could be subjected much physical strain ---?

many thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back