PCMCIA to PCI Adapter Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to use the verizon wireless PCMCIA card on a desktop (running XP-Pro). I live out of range for any kind of Cable or DSL lines, but I am within range of Verizon's wireless broadband service. I installed a PCMCIA to PCI controller card on my desktop:

- I installed the PCMCIA to PCI controller card. (brand new)
- Checked the Device Manager (said device is working properly)
- I Installed the Verizon- VZAccess Manager Software
- I Installed the Verizon PCMCIA Card
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Issue:
When I run the VZAccess Manager it starts like an installation wizard, Then it gets to a part that says to install the card. Well, I installed the card, the green light comes on on the PCMCIA to PCI Controller card, but the VZAccess Manager will not recognize that the card is installed, and the next button (to continue with the set-up) on the wizard remains "grayed out."

What I've tried:
1st.
- I have taken the card out
- rebooted
- ran the VZ Access Manager, waited until the wizard asked to install the card
- installed the card
---------- and it still does not recognize it.

2nd
- I have installed the PCMCIA to PCI controller card into a different PCI slot
---------- and got the same result.

3rd
- I have installed the PCMCIA to PCI controller card on another old Compaq system also running XP Pro.
- installed the card
- ran the VZ Access Manager
---------- and got he same result, the VZAccess manager didn't read the card.

4th
- I have inserted another type II card for wireless networking
---------- and the system still would not read the card.

The card works great on my laptop (with XP Pro) but I can't get it to be recognized on my desktops. Any ideas?

I am using the same setup (although not with verizon). I have a PCMCIA adapter in a PCI slot, then a wireless network card plugged into it.

You say your device manager is showing that your controller card is working properly, but is it also showing the wireless card when you plug it in?

I'm going to take a guess, but it is possible that although the driver you are using for the controller card is recent enough to get windows to recognize the controller card, the drivers are not recent enough to recognize the typeII card you are sticking in there.

Who makes that controller card? Go to the maker's website and download the latest drivers for it. See if that fixes you up.

OK, I have installed it on my new Dell XPS system with XP Pro and this is the message that came up:

The device Ricoh (PCMCIA to PCI adapter) or compatable cardbus controller has detected a cardbus in the slot, but the firmware on the system is not configured to allow the cardbus controller to run in cardbus mode. What does this mean and how can I fix it?

I've setup a number of these cards for customers, but I have to say there was install that gave me ALL SORTS of problems. Just like what you described, initially. It had to do with XP SP2 and a particular version of driver/software I was using (at the time it was the latest). Once it was detected, the card itself did not work. I had it sent back and the replacement worked perfectly.

This may not help you much, but I thought I'd mention that Verizon tech support was pretty diligent about getting it fixed (although tediously meticulous). They might be worth giving a call...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back