PD 945 vs 940

Status
Not open for further replies.

darel001

PD 945vs940 why is 940 more expensive?

I recently noticed that the pentium d 945 is a few dollars less expensive than the 940. Does anyone know why that is , since the 945 does have a 3.4GHz as compared to the 940 which has a 3.2GHz. Is the 940 better than the 945 even though it has a slower processor by 200mhz?

THX

the 945 is better, but sometimes different sites have different sites have different prices. one word for this: capitalism. lol, but true.

ok thx

ok thx for the reply. I wasnt sure. But I also found out recently that the pd 940 supports virtualization while the 945 doesnt. But it only matters IF one does vt. I dont, so the 945 would be best.

Get a Core 2 Duo instead. Even the slowest Core 2 can beat the crap out of any Pentium D. I know that they're clocked slower, but looking at clock speeds alone is a very bad way to judge the performance of a CPU. Core 2s do more operations per clock cycle than a PD meaning that they don't need as high of a clock speed to do the same amount of work. Plus, Core 2s use much less power and generate less heat than PDs. In fact some PDs take up to 130 watts alone (not the whole system, just the CPU takes 130 watts).

thx for the tip

hey thx for the tip , actually i have been looking into the whole core 2 duo and have made the assertion that they are better to. but i have already had a pd for about half a year , and happen to notice the price thing. I am thinking about c2d tough. TY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back